PARADOX TABLES NOT LOCKING. PLEASE HELP

Post by Andrew J. Willia » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I have an app that is now setup on a Win95 network.  I know there
have been several posts already but none have addressed my particular
query so please read on.

In my app, all the tables have exclusive set to false as I want all
users to be able to read (if not edit) all records if they desire
whether or not the table is open on another machine.
I have set the net dir to the same directory in BDECFG on both
machines.
When I run the app both users (at present it is only a two computer
network) can edit the same record at the same time, but the changes
one user makes is not visible to the second user even if the refresh
button is clicked.  If both users save edits and then close the
application, the user who saved last (I think - but not totally sure)
is the one whose edits are saved to the table when both users restart
the program.

(1)  Is there any way with a paradox table to allow users to view but
not edit if another user is viewing a particular record?  Or is this
only available with certain SQL servers as stated in the on-line
help?

(2)  Can someone explain what is happening in the above description
e.g. why even though one computer saves changes, that the other user
cannot see them even after a refresh.

(3)  Why in the net dir is there two LCK files.  Paradox.lck and
pdoxusrs.lck?  What are they both for - or is it something I have
done?

(4)  How can you programmatically detect if one user opens a record
that is being edited by another terminal?  Is there an error
generated?

Thanks for any help and if you could reply to me direct as well as to
the group I would be grateful as my internet provider is having all
sorts of problems and appears to have lost four days worth of
Delphi-talk (unless it has gone down itself again).  My new e-mail
appears to be delivered OK.   TIA.

         | ~  ~ |

----oOOo---(__)---oOOo-------
Andy Williams Birmingham, UK
-----------------------------

PARADOX TABLES NOT LOCKING. PLEASE HELP

Post by David W. Streev » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

You need to change the setting in the BDE which Reads LOCAL SHARE. Set it
to true on all workstations and try again.

Good Luck

Post by Andrew J. Willia » Thu, 01 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>You need to change the setting in the BDE which Reads LOCAL SHARE. Set it
>to true on all workstations and try again.
>Good Luck

Yep,
Thanks this is what I wanted.

         | ~  ~ |

----oOOo---(__)---oOOo-------
Andy Williams Birmingham, UK
-----------------------------

1. PARADOX LOCK HELP PLEASE

HELP please.

I am doing my first try in running a program from two machines towards a directory on a network server.
In the directory I have some paradox 5 tables.
It runs fine from either of the machines but if one is open the other can't get at it at all.
Machine no 2 gets an error saying something that another machine has locked the net directory in PDOXUSRX.LCK.

How can I open this up so that more than one machine can access the tables at once?

I would like to go down to record level so that when someone is editing a record others can't edit it but should be able to view it.

MANY thanks in advance for any help!

johan

2. C++ capturing DTS COM Events... ew...

3. Paradox 4.5 Lock file issue--Please Help!!!

4. SQL-DMO ExecuteImmediate method

5. Please help! Not enough SQL 7 Locks

6. 6.5 to 2000 upgrade to a named instance

7. Help please,ADO record locking not working?

8. Remove Identify on column (when INSERT data)

9. Could not lock file! please help

10. 16-bit Paradox app in Windows 2000 not working-help please

11. Help - Vb Locked Paradox Tables

12. Urgent Help!-locked paradox tables, can't unlock

13. TABLE LOCK/UNLOCK, PLEASE HELP!!!