Distributing Delphi 1.0 DB-Application without Setup

Distributing Delphi 1.0 DB-Application without Setup

Post by Thomas Berge » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I'm developing a DB-Application for archive-purpose using Delphi 1.0 and
Paradox-tables. The application will be run from a CD. One of the features
of the application is to create SQL-Queries at runtime, so I need TTable-
and TQuery-Components.

Is there any way for using the program directly from CD (which in fact was
the main reason to do it with Delphi insted of Visual Basic) without having
to run a SETUP first ? Is there a good way to access Paradox-tables
directly ?

Thanks a lot
Tom

Post by Sundial Servic » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>I'm developing a DB-Application for archive-purpose using Delphi 1.0 and
>Paradox-tables. The application will be run from a CD. One of the features
>of the application is to create SQL-Queries at runtime, so I need TTable-
>and TQuery-Components.
>Is there any way for using the program directly from CD (which in fact was
>the main reason to do it with Delphi insted of Visual Basic) without having
>to run a SETUP first ? Is there a good way to access Paradox-tables
>directly ?

You could probably come up with something.  At the same time, however, I
notice that nearly all CD-ware has a setup process that is to be run the first
time, and I would suggest that this is the best approach.  There is almost
always *some* amount of machine-specific customization that needs to be done
at install time, not just for BDE.

Most of the main-line installers (I heartily recommend Wise) employ the
necessary logic to do whatever setup your application may require.  And I
don't think your users will object to running it.

/mr/