Converting VB to Java

Post by John McGuiga » Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Firstly let me apologise for cross-posting, but I'm not too sure where this
message should go (probably in the bin :>).

For the past few months I've been developing a Visual Basic front end to our
customer database. The project needed to be up and running fairly quickly so
not knowing java I picked VB. My manager and myself both agreed at the time
it should be browser based due to the fact we have both PC and Mac clients,
but speed was the major issue.

The IT Director has now turned round and said that he wants a browser based
version within 2 months. Now as I said I don't know java, or jdbc, or beans,
or whatever so I'd be grateful if someone out there could tell me of a tool
which will take my VB code and its components (ADO, datagrid etc) and
convert them into java or active server pages or something I can embed into
a browser page.

Unfortunately Mac support is essential, personally I'd load a skip with the
Macs and solve my problem that way.

I don't have a problem with learning a new language, but time and lack of
experience in the language would probably make a dogs dinner of the whole
thing.

Anyway thanks for bearing with me.

Could you reply via e-mail as well as the newsgroups.

John McGuigan

--
There is no black race, white race, or yellow race .... only the human race.

Converting VB to Java

Post by Aaz » Mon, 07 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Firstly let me apologise for cross-posting, but I'm not too sure where this
>message should go (probably in the bin :>).

>For the past few months I've been developing a Visual Basic front end to
our
>customer database. The project needed to be up and running fairly quickly
so
>not knowing java I picked VB. My manager and myself both agreed at the time
>it should be browser based due to the fact we have both PC and Mac clients,
>but speed was the major issue.

>The IT Director has now turned round and said that he wants a browser based
>version within 2 months. Now as I said I don't know java, or jdbc, or
beans,
>or whatever so I'd be grateful if someone out there could tell me of a tool
>which will take my VB code and its components (ADO, datagrid etc) and
>convert them into java or active server pages or something I can embed into
>a browser pa

The only tool I know that is able to convert COMPILED vb ocx-s
and use ActiveX dll-s & Documents is Ms Visual J++ 6.0
It's an Java tool that has some integrity with VB and C++ (Ms of course), so
you might be able to convert you vb code into Java, but
I'm not really sure. Good luck anyway.
Aaz

Converting VB to Java

Post by Igor V. Burtse » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

If Mac have IE 4.* or higher, it is easy for you to remake your project with
VBScript and DHTML

--
        == BrIg ==

Converting VB to Java

Post by Avik Sengupt » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Check out Applet Designer from GreyMatter. Purports to do what you desire.

http://www.greymatter.co.uk/gmWEB/nodes/NODE06C0.HTM

Cheers
-
Avik

Quote:> Firstly let me apologise for cross-posting, but I'm not too sure where
this
> message should go (probably in the bin :>).

> For the past few months I've been developing a Visual Basic front end to
our
> customer database. The project needed to be up and running fairly quickly
so
> not knowing java I picked VB. My manager and myself both agreed at the
time
> it should be browser based due to the fact we have both PC and Mac
clients,
> but speed was the major issue.

> The IT Director has now turned round and said that he wants a browser
based
> version within 2 months. Now as I said I don't know java, or jdbc, or
beans,
> or whatever so I'd be grateful if someone out there could tell me of a
tool
> which will take my VB code and its components (ADO, datagrid etc) and
> convert them into java or active server pages or something I can embed
into
> a browser page.

> Unfortunately Mac support is essential, personally I'd load a skip with
the
> Macs and solve my problem that way.

> I don't have a problem with learning a new language, but time and lack of
> experience in the language would probably make a dogs dinner of the whole
> thing.

> Anyway thanks for bearing with me.

> Could you reply via e-mail as well as the newsgroups.

> John McGuigan

> --
> There is no black race, white race, or yellow race .... only the human
race.

Converting VB to Java

Post by Avik Sengupt » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Also, Instant Converter

http://www.halcyonsoft.com/prods/converter/converter.htm

Converting VB to Java

Post by Jeff Jone » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Another approach is to use you existing VB code in VB6 to create .ASP pages.
VB6 supports this nicely, and would leverage your existing code.  If you run
IIS as your web server, any HTML browser can use it, since all the
VB/COM/ODBC stuff stays on the server, and all the browser see is HTML.  No
having to worry about learning Java and putting up with its inherent
slowness.  VB6 also supports creating DHTML pages, but given that you want
to support other than Windows, ASP may be the better of the two.

You may have other criteria that preclude this solution, but it is how I
would handle such a request.

Jeff Jones

Quote:>Firstly let me apologise for cross-posting, but I'm not too sure where this
>message should go (probably in the bin :>).

>For the past few months I've been developing a Visual Basic front end to
our
>customer database. The project needed to be up and running fairly quickly
so
>not knowing java I picked VB. My manager and myself both agreed at the time
>it should be browser based due to the fact we have both PC and Mac clients,
>but speed was the major issue.

>The IT Director has now turned round and said that he wants a browser based
>version within 2 months. Now as I said I don't know java, or jdbc, or
beans,
>or whatever so I'd be grateful if someone out there could tell me of a tool
>which will take my VB code and its components (ADO, datagrid etc) and
>convert them into java or active server pages or something I can embed into
>a browser page.

>Unfortunately Mac support is essential, personally I'd load a skip with the
>Macs and solve my problem that way.

>I don't have a problem with learning a new language, but time and lack of
>experience in the language would probably make a dogs dinner of the whole
>thing.

>Anyway thanks for bearing with me.

>Could you reply via e-mail as well as the newsgroups.

>John McGuigan

>--
>There is no black race, white race, or yellow race .... only the human
race.

Converting VB to Java

Post by san.. » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

IntraTier has recently released a public beta of the IntraTier
Application Server for Visual Basic and related
development tools that allow customers to take existing Visual Basic
applications ( including two-tier applications ) and deploy them as
multi-user thin client/browser applications with the application
running on the IntraTier Application Server, and have a small Java
based client accessing the server.  All development continues to be in
Visual Basic and all of the existing tools, compilers etc are still
used.  There is no development expertise required in
either HTML or Java.  It is particularly good with database and business
oriented applications.  In your particular case, it supports both ADO,
ADO bound controls and the DataGrid.

Perhaps this would be a solution to your situation.  We're encouraging
people to drop by the IntraTier web site http://www.intratier.com to
try it out.

Please drop me a line as well if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,
Sandy Atkinson
IntraTier

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/