VB6 Data Reports or of Crystal Reports?

Post by Adrian Harris » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Using VB6 enterprise!

I would like to be able to use the data reports instead of Crystal reports (to keep it all under one
roof!), but would like to hear any comments as to which one I should go with!

I'm a bit worried as the Data reports are quite new,  if they're stable enough or not! - going by
Microsoft's normal reputation for new releases it doesn't give me much hope!

Any ideas

Thanks

Adrina Harrison

VB6 Data Reports or of Crystal Reports?

Post by Adrian Harris » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Using VB6 enterprise!

I would like to be able to use the data reports instead of Crystal reports (to keep it all under one
roof!), but would like to hear any comments as to which one I should go with!

I'm a bit worried as the Data reports are quite new,  if they're stable enough or not! - going by
Microsoft's normal reputation for new releases it doesn't give me much hope!

Any ideas

Thanks

Adrina Harrison

VB6 Data Reports or of Crystal Reports?

Post by Vinicius Franc » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello Adrian. I don't know VB6 data reports but I really know Crystal Reports and the Crystal Reports
6.0 is very great.

    I use this and I'm very satisfied.

    Hoping helping you,

Adrian Harrison escreveu:

Quote:> Using VB6 enterprise!

> I would like to be able to use the data reports instead of Crystal reports (to keep it all under one
> roof!), but would like to hear any comments as to which one I should go with!

> I'm a bit worried as the Data reports are quite new,  if they're stable enough or not! - going by
> Microsoft's normal reputation for new releases it doesn't give me much hope!

> Any ideas

> Thanks

> Adrina Harrison

VB6 Data Reports or of Crystal Reports?

Post by Bill » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Our International arm are having desparate problems with Crystal and
stability.

We tried Crystal v6 for a 20 page financial factfind report and it ran like
a dog so we replaced it with an Access97 report.

Crystal may be good at standard header / Group / Footer reports, but our
experience shows that it stinks with reports consisting of several
non-repeating pages.

The Crystal report took a developer two months and I replaced it with a
better Access version in a week from being an Access newbie.

Bill

Quote:>Hello Adrian. I don't know VB6 data reports but I really know Crystal

Reports and the Crystal Reports
Quote:>6.0 is very great.

>    I use this and I'm very satisfied.

>> Using VB6 enterprise!

>> I would like to be able to use the data reports instead of Crystal

reports (to keep it all under one
Quote:>> roof!), but would like to hear any comments as to which one I should go

with!

VB6 Data Reports or of Crystal Reports?

Post by Satish Raj » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
    The problem consists of constructing a SQL Query at runtime based on
Options specified by the client and generating a corresponding cross-tab
report based on that query.

    Does CrystalReports component provide for formatting the layout of a
report at runtime?

Thanks

Post by Shawn Broc » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >Hello Adrian. I don't know VB6 data reports but I really know Crystal
> >Reports and the Crystal Reports 6.0 is very great.
> We tried Crystal v6 for a 20 page financial factfind report and it ran
like
> a dog so we replaced it with an Access97 report.

I am pulling my hair out dealing with Crystal Reports.  Print preview is
not a true print preview.  Fields that appear complete in the preview get
cut off when printing and spacing is not true to the screen.  This could be
our printer, but no other applications have this problem.
--
Shawn Brock
Speedway SuperAmerica

VB6 Data Reports or of Crystal Reports?

Post by Shawn Broc » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >Hello Adrian. I don't know VB6 data reports but I really know Crystal
> >Reports and the Crystal Reports 6.0 is very great.
> We tried Crystal v6 for a 20 page financial factfind report and it ran
like
> a dog so we replaced it with an Access97 report.

I am pulling my hair out dealing with Crystal Reports.  Print preview is
not a true print preview.  Fields that appear complete in the preview get
cut off when printing and spacing is not true to the screen.  This could be
our printer, but no other applications have this problem.
--
Shawn Brock
Speedway SuperAmerica

VB6 Data Reports or of Crystal Reports?

Post by Tim Ell » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

You might want to check out Data Dynamic's ActiveReports.  It's rather
impressive.
Quote:> I am pulling my hair out dealing with Crystal Reports.  Print preview is
> not a true print preview.  Fields that appear complete in the preview get
> cut off when printing and spacing is not true to the screen.  This could be
> our printer, but no other applications have this problem.

VB6 Data Reports or of Crystal Reports?

Post by Craig » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I also use DataDynamics ActiveReports.  This control is awesome, get it.
Go to www.datadynamics.com

There's nothing it can't handle, and the support is great.
They even have their own newsserver with newsgroups for all of their
products.

Enjoy!
- Craig M

VB6 Data Reports or of Crystal Reports?

Post by CHARLES G MA » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

If it's a printer problem then it's involving a lot of printers. I've got
the same
problem on an HPLJ 4000, HPLJ3, HPDJ890C, Epson Dot Matrix (2 different
models)
and and HPDJ660C.

Just thought I'd let you know in case you suspect the printer :o)

Quote:>I am pulling my hair out dealing with Crystal Reports.  Print preview is
>not a true print preview.  Fields that appear complete in the preview get
>cut off when printing and spacing is not true to the screen.  This could be
>our printer, but no other applications have this problem.

VB6 Data Reports or of Crystal Reports?

Post by Dean Farrel » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Crystal (Seagate) will try to blame it on print drivers.  They even make
this excuse in their docs.

However when I was able to demonstrate where two items in the same report
(formulas vs db fields) with the same
settings printed different, they confessed that multiple "companies" write
the engine behind crystal
and they don't do things the same way.

So my take on that is, company X seems to know what to do and company Y
doesn't.  Maybe they should talk. It's only been a problem for 3 or 4 years.

Anyway,  there are several other third party products that do work.

We wrote our on reporting engine.  Sure we have to write code to position
items, but at least our preview matches our output. <g>.

Good Luck,

Dean.

VB6 Data Reports or of Crystal Reports?

Post by Steve Lo » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I was TRYING to use a Crystal Reports report (tried both version 4.x
and 6) where I needed to have an active link to a bitmap and wound up
pulling my hair out over it. I spent almost a week trying to get it to
work properly and then I download ActiveReports from data dynamics and
had a report up and running in about an hour WITH an active dynamic
link to a bitmap. Wonderful product.

I have tried VB's reporting engine yet but I will soon in this next
app I'm developing.

Steve

>You might want to check out Data Dynamic's ActiveReports.  It's rather
>impressive.

>> I am pulling my hair out dealing with Crystal Reports.  Print preview is
>> not a true print preview.  Fields that appear complete in the preview get
>> cut off when printing and spacing is not true to the screen.  This could be
>> our printer, but no other applications have this problem.

You can mail me at longs
I'm at europa.com