SQL Links or ODBC for remote SQL servers?

SQL Links or ODBC for remote SQL servers?

Post by Andy Conno » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I am responsible for writing some software that performs high-speed testing of
electronic components and automatically commits test results to a remote SQL
server database.  I am using Borland C++ 5.0 (32-bit), which has the same BDE
and database components as 32-bit Delphi.  Performing these operations as
quickly as possible is a very high priority.  Looking through this newsgroup, I
have noticed some people saying that TQuery components are the way to go for
maximum speed.  My Borland documentation states "To use remote SQL servers, you
also must have installed SQL Links (available separately from Borland
International)."  Is it possible to use ODBC with a remote SQL server using
TQuery components without buying SQL Links?  If so, is there any disadvantage
to doing so?  How do the native drivers compare with ODBC drivers in terms of
speed?

Thanks in advance,
Andy Connors

Post by Jasper St » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

>Is it possible to use ODBC with a remote SQL server using
>TQuery components without buying SQL Links?

Of course you can. That's what ODBC is for.

Quote:>If so, is there any disadvantage to doing so?

Yes, in terms of speed.

Quote:>How do the native drivers compare with ODBC drivers in terms of speed?

Like a Ferrari versus a Ford T.

Quote:>Thanks in advance,

You're welcome.

Jasper

PS: please take into consideration
- when replying, I just think I know;
- when asking, be sure that I don't.

1. SQL 6.5 Remote Server to SQL 7 Linked Server

We had set up remote servers in SQL 6.5 to facilitate use
of the stored procedure sp_sqlexec to query data on
another server.
We now want to set up same server as a linked server to
use the 4-part object naming inside a select statement.
Is there a way to make a 'remote' server already existing
in sysservers, also a 'linked' server??

2. ADO Find -- is this even possible?

3. Remote Server -- Changing from Remote Server to Linked Server

4. Abstract query syntax or ...?

5. SQL 7.0 linked server changed to remote server

6. replace function question

7. Accessing linked server on remote SQL server

8. SQL Remote, SQL Server to SQL Server.

9. SQL Error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Communication link failure

10. MS SQL Server - ODBC vs SQL Links

11. SQL Error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Communication link failure