Referencing ADO 2.5 or (ADO 2.5 and ADOR 2.5) ?

Referencing ADO 2.5 or (ADO 2.5 and ADOR 2.5) ?

Post by Carl Ribbegaard » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Might be a dumb question, but when do I need to reference ADOR?
I'll use batchUpdates.

/Carl

Referencing ADO 2.5 or (ADO 2.5 and ADOR 2.5) ?

Post by Andrew Grillag » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

ADOR is a lightweight library which contains only Recordset functionality. I
don't really see a need for you to ever reference it these days.

--

Andrew Grillage
http://www.concresco.com

Quote:> Might be a dumb question, but when do I need to reference ADOR?
> I'll use batchUpdates.

> /Carl

Referencing ADO 2.5 or (ADO 2.5 and ADOR 2.5) ?

Post by Carl Ribbegaard » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Nevermind, I found out.

/Carl

And for others wondering:

From Programming VB6.0 (Fransesco Balena)
ADOR.Recordset is functionally similar to a regular ADO Recordset, but it
takes fewer resources and is therefore a better choice when the application
runs inside the browser and doesn't need the full power and versatility of
ADO. This object is exposed by the Microsoft ActiveX Data Object Recordset
library (Msador15.dll). The ADOR library also includes the Field and the
Property objects, but not the Connection and Command objects. This library
is automatically installed with Internet Explorer, so it never requires you
to download and install it on the client workstation.

NOTE

Just to give you an idea about the relative weight of the ADOR library
compared to the regular ADO library, compare these facts: The Msador15.dll
file a mere 37 KB in size, whereas the full-fledged Msado15.dll file is 332
KB.

Quote:> Might be a dumb question, but when do I need to reference ADOR?
> I'll use batchUpdates.

> /Carl

Referencing ADO 2.5 or (ADO 2.5 and ADOR 2.5) ?

Post by Carl Prothma » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Carl,
ADOR is now only a sub to the MSADO15.DLL and exists only to maintain
backward compatibility.

Make sure to read the following KB article:

INFO: Maintaining Binary Compatibility in Components with ADOR
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q216/3/89.asp

Carl Prothman
Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
http://www.able-consulting.com

> Nevermind, I found out.

> /Carl

> And for others wondering:

> From Programming VB6.0 (Fransesco Balena)
> ADOR.Recordset is functionally similar to a regular ADO Recordset, but it
> takes fewer resources and is therefore a better choice when the
application
> runs inside the browser and doesn't need the full power and versatility of
> ADO. This object is exposed by the Microsoft ActiveX Data Object Recordset
> library (Msador15.dll). The ADOR library also includes the Field and the
> Property objects, but not the Connection and Command objects. This library
> is automatically installed with Internet Explorer, so it never requires
you
> to download and install it on the client workstation.

> NOTE

> Just to give you an idea about the relative weight of the ADOR library
> compared to the regular ADO library, compare these facts: The Msador15.dll
> file a mere 37 KB in size, whereas the full-fledged Msado15.dll file is
332
> KB.

> > Might be a dumb question, but when do I need to reference ADOR?
> > I'll use batchUpdates.

> > /Carl

1. Where is MDAC 2.5 SDK (ADO 2.5)

Does anyone know where to download MDAC SDK 2.5.  I am in particular looking
for ADO 2.5 for a database application I am building.  I have checked for
hours at the Microsoft and MSDN sights.  The closest thing I can find is the
PSDK which sets up different SDKs from Microsoft.  I could not locate MDAC
within this PSDK.  I am using Windows 98 2nd edition.

Thank you.

2. behavior of ' = NULL' vs. MySQL v

3. ADO 2.5 bugs(?) and ADOX 2.5

4. How to close active windows at script start

5. ADO 2.5 (MDAC 2.5) WHERE is it???

6. killing processes with a script

7. Removing ADO 2.0 from project adding ADO 2.5

8. ODBC database access WITHOUT ODBC software on client?

9. ADO Data Control conflicts with ADO 2.5 Library

10. Upgrading from ADO 2.1 to ADO 2.5

11. ADO 2 -> ADO 2.5

12. ADO 2.1 works, ADO 2.5 no good

13. Any problems Upgrading ADO 2.1 to ADO 2.5?