Slow, slow, slow search on VB6, ADO and SS7

Slow, slow, slow search on VB6, ADO and SS7

Post by Kelly Clar » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I'm moving from DAO to SS7 and have a BIG problem.
Generally:
 I need to open a recordset and quickly search for a row in it so I can
later use .move from that row.
Example:
Customer table with Name_Last, Name_First, Name_Initial and an index
using those fields.
I want to move the cursor to the first row containing Smith, John Q.
then move forward or backward as needed.
The Problem:
Opens using client side cursor takes ~ 20 sec (15,000 rows) but .find is
quick
[I use a sequence of .find's since MS in their infinite wisdom only
allow searching by one criteria(field) at a time]
Opens using server side cursor are fast but then the .find takes ~ 20
sec

Slow, slow, slow search on VB6, ADO and SS7

Post by JeanEnevoldse » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

For speedy database access, I only create recordsets that
contain the minimum amount of data needed. So for example,
if I need a record for John X. Smith, I don't retrieve all
20,000 records on my table and then search for John X
within that recordset. Instead I use a SQL Select statement
with a WHERE clause to get just the fields I need and just
the record for this person.

Select address1, address2, city, state, zip, phone from
my_table where firstname = 'John' and middlelinit = 'X' and
lastname = 'Smith'

> --------------3046B76C5A2C2A1986616225
> I'm moving from DAO to SS7 and have a BIG problem.
> Generally:
>  I need to open a recordset and quickly search for a
> row in it so I can
> later use .move from that row.
> Example:
> Customer table with Name_Last, Name_First,
> Name_Initial and an index
> using those fields.
> I want to move the cursor to the first row containing
> Smith, John Q.
> then move forward or backward as needed.
> The Problem:
> Opens using client side cursor takes ~ 20 sec (15,000
> rows) but .find is
> quick
> [I use a sequence of .find's since MS in their
> infinite wisdom only
> allow searching by one criteria(field) at a time]
> Opens using server side cursor are fast but then the
> .find takes ~ 20
> sec
> --------------3046B76C5A2C2A1986616225
> <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0
> transitional//en">
> I'm moving from DAO to SS7 and have a BIG problem.
> search for a row in it
> so I can later use .move from that row.
> Name_Initial and an index
> using those fields.
> containing Smith, John Q.
> then move forward or backward as needed.
> (15,000 rows) but .find
> is quick
> infinite wisdom only
> allow searching by one criteria(field) at a time]
> the .find takes ~
> 20 sec</html>
> --------------3046B76C5A2C2A1986616225--

1. slow, slow search on ADO, VB6 and SS7

I'm moving from DAO to SS7 and have a BIG problem.
Generally:
 I need to open a recordset and quickly search for a row in it so I can
later
move from that row.
Example:
Customer table with Name_Last, Name_First, Name_Initial and an index
using those fields.
I want to move the cursor to the first row containing Smith, John Q.
then
move forward or backward as needed.
The Problem:
Opens using client side cursor takes ~ 20 sec (15,000 rows) but search
is
quick
Opens using server side cursor are fast but then the search takes ~ 20
sec

2. SQL operating system erro 10055

3. slow, slow search on SS7, ADO and VB6

4. Set Username

5. PDOXWIN5 Slow (slower than slow)

6. Bay Area, CA - MS-SQL*Server DBA, Perm 80 - 85K

7. Slow slow slow from an ASP

8. BrainTools Database Software Update Notice

9. Why does my BCP Load run slower, and slower, and slower

10. Slow, slow, slow DDEs

11. Unique Index gets slower and slower and slower for inserts

12. Insert into SQL Server slow, slow, slow...

13. DB Getting Slower and Slower and Slower....