User-defined error when the user doesn't define any errors

User-defined error when the user doesn't define any errors

Post by Kirk Obe » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I have a rather maddening problem.  Occassionally
my VB3 application pops up an Error #2004 during
some database manipulation.  Typing out the error
message in the debug window with "print error(2004)"
gives me simply, "User-defined Error."

I have not defined any errors in my program.  The
actual line where this is occurring looks like
this:

db.Execute "UPDATE * FROM gtus SET New = False WHERE New = True"

  where "db" is just an Access 1.1 database with
a table called "gtus" and an Integer field called
"New" that I want to set False for all records.
Seems like a pretty inocuous statement, eh?

How can a VB application generate an error that it
claims was defined by me???  All ideas/suggestions
welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirk

User-defined error when the user doesn't define any errors

Post by Michael V. Chernen » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

these mellifluous words, full of wisdom and thoughtful reflections:

Quote:>!<I have a rather maddening problem.  Occassionally
>!<my VB3 application pops up an Error #2004 during
>!<some database manipulation.  Typing out the error
>!<message in the debug window with "print error(2004)"
>!<gives me simply, "User-defined Error."
>!<I have not defined any errors in my program.  The
>!<actual line where this is occurring looks like
>!<this:
>!<db.Execute "UPDATE * FROM gtus SET New = False WHERE New = True"
>!<  where "db" is just an Access 1.1 database with
>!<a table called "gtus" and an Integer field called
>!<"New" that I want to set False for all records.
>!<Seems like a pretty inocuous statement, eh?
>!<How can a VB application generate an error that it
>!<claims was defined by me???  All ideas/suggestions
>!<welcome and appreciated.
>!<Thanks,
>!<Kirk

Your SQL string is syntactically incorrect. The 'user' is the ODBC driver, who
is external to VB.

Try this:

db.Execute "UPDATE gtus SET New = False WHERE New = True"

User-defined error when the user doesn't define any errors

Post by Michael V. Chernen » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

these mellifluous words, full of wisdom and thoughtful reflections:

Quote:>!<I have a rather maddening problem.  Occassionally
>!<my VB3 application pops up an Error #2004 during
>!<some database manipulation.  Typing out the error
>!<message in the debug window with "print error(2004)"
>!<gives me simply, "User-defined Error."
>!<I have not defined any errors in my program.  The
>!<actual line where this is occurring looks like
>!<this:
>!<db.Execute "UPDATE * FROM gtus SET New = False WHERE New = True"
>!<  where "db" is just an Access 1.1 database with
>!<a table called "gtus" and an Integer field called
>!<"New" that I want to set False for all records.
>!<Seems like a pretty inocuous statement, eh?
>!<How can a VB application generate an error that it
>!<claims was defined by me???  All ideas/suggestions
>!<welcome and appreciated.
>!<Thanks,
>!<Kirk

Your SQL string is syntactically incorrect. The 'user' is the ODBC driver, who
is external to VB.

Try this:

db.Execute "UPDATE gtus SET New = False WHERE New = True"

1. run-time error '713': Application-defined or object-defined error

Does anybody know why this error comes up every time i try to connect to
SQLServer7 from my VB application on another station after using the Package
and Deployment feature in vb6 Enterprise.
I've developped a client-server application (VB6-SQL Server7) which works
fine on my machine (NT4). The trouble is when I execute it on a machine
(NT4) which has't got Visual Studio on it, I cannot connect to the server.
The main thing is if I install Visual Studio on the machine, it becomes
possible to connect to the server. So I suppose, the application needs some
more files to run properly but they should be included in the package
automatically, shouldn't they?

Any ideas gratefully received

Anthony.

2. JOB - 4GL P/A - Scottsdale/AZ

3. Error: User-defined type not defined

4. Oracle teams with Mafia?

5. Help!!-NEWBIE - Application Wizard -(WROX BOOK) Error- User defined type not defined

6. What is the cause of run time error 3426?

7. Compile error: User-defined data type not defined!

8. 23381-FL-Palm Beach County-PowerBuilder-PFC-RDBMS-UNIX-Project Management-Senior Powerbuilder 5.0, PFC, RDBMS Developer

9. Compile error: User-defined type not defined

10. user defined settings (aka user defined guc variables)

11. call a user defined function from another user-defined function

12. User defined functions doesn't return the correct value in Excel XP

13. is_member function doesn't work with user-defined roles