Is there a good reference for learning VB?

Is there a good reference for learning VB?

Post by Kevin M. Riord » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I am new to programming in Visual Basic. I am currently programming
applications for Microsoft Access 2.0 for Windows 3.1. I would like to
know if there are any web resources or good books you would recommend that
could explain the various codes and commands used in programming Access
applications. The "Help" in Access is somewhat limited in examples, but I
would like to have a comprehensive list of commands used in Visual Basic.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin M. Riordan                "One should follow the wise, the intelligent,

                                the noble; one should follow a good and wise
                                man, as the moon follows the path of the stars."

Is there a good reference for learning VB?

Post by Phil Glas » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I've found the best source of information is the Programmer's Guide and
Language Reference manuals by Microsoft. I've bought numerous books on
VB Database programming and I use most of them daily. If you are new to
VB and database programming, you might like: "Visual Basic 4 Database
How-To" from The Wait Groupe ($36.95 list price). I've found the most
informative and useful book to be "Visual Basic 4.0 Unleashed" by Sams
Publishing ($49.99 list price). Ironically I hated that book at first
but now I find myself looking to it first.
Hope this helps,
Phil

> I am new to programming in Visual Basic. I am currently programming
> applications for Microsoft Access 2.0 for Windows 3.1. I would like to
> know if there are any web resources or good books you would recommend that
> could explain the various codes and commands used in programming Access
> applications. The "Help" in Access is somewhat limited in examples, but I
> would like to have a comprehensive list of commands used in Visual Basic.

> Any suggestions would be welcomed.

> Thanks,
> Kevin

1. VB + databases: I am looking for resources, ie: reference books

Hello,

I am looking for a good book or an FTP site of texts or whatever to
assist me with some database programming in VB.

I have already got the VB Database Developers Guide by Jennings but
the book is quite weak in several areas of interest to me, such as:

- locking
- network hardware considerations in terms of spped
- how to trap network data erros (such as when the network is busy,
does VB report and error, or does it retry?)

thank you very much.

Srorry but my backspace key doesn't work: bad terminal emulation!!

--ross barclay

2. Querying with wildcards.

3. NEWBIE - good book for learning VB 5.0?

4. Test Post

5. Good book for learning VB?

6. How use like search in sp_executesql

7. Best learning strategy for learning web database prog.

8. Replication Monitoring

9. Any good reference books for VB-5.0 ?

10. Best VB 6.0 reference book(s)?

11. Looking for a Good VB Reference Book

12. Good extended stored procedure reference for VB

13. A good reference VB book?