VB Packaging & Deployment Wizard & ADO

Post by William F. LaMarti » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Having recently moved up to VB 6.0 from VB 5 and having installed Service
pack 3, I am a little confused about the process of packaging and deploying
a project that contains ADO Data controls and a Data Environment (which has
a connection with commands and data reports).

First, when I start the Packaging Wizard, I soon get the message saying that
my project uses DAO with a list of drivers on my system and asking which of
them I want to include.  The list consists of

certain Excel drivers
an Exchange 4.0 driver
a Jet 2.x driver
an ODBC with Jet Workspaces driver
an ODBC Direct driver
and various other drivers of no interest, like text, html, etc.

Which am I to include?

The second part of the question is this:  The Wizard when finished says that
it included MDAC in the setup files, but for it to install properly, the
computer for the installation has to have DECOM98 installed. Well, I found
DECOM98.exe and DECOM98cfg.exe on the VB 6.0 CD.  Now what I need to know is
what is the sequence for installing my application on the target machine,
and which Decom file do I use and when do I use it?

Additionally, I suppose to test all of this, I need to find a "clean"
machine to try it on.  For example, how can it determine if DECOM98 is on
such a machine already.

Thanks in advance

Post by tclau » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Having recently moved up to VB 6.0 from VB 5 and having installed Service
> pack 3, I am a little confused about the process of packaging and deploying
> a project that contains ADO Data controls and a Data Environment (which has
> a connection with commands and data reports).

> First, when I start the Packaging Wizard, I soon get the message saying that
> my project uses DAO with a list of drivers on my system and asking which of
> them I want to include.  The list consists of

> certain Excel drivers
> an Exchange 4.0 driver
> a Jet 2.x driver
> an ODBC with Jet Workspaces driver
> an ODBC Direct driver
> and various other drivers of no interest, like text, html, etc.

> Which am I to include?

I think If you install tghe JET driver it will work. ( I use ADO with a local
MDB Database and I use JET 3.51 driver)

Quote:

> The second part of the question is this:  The Wizard when finished says that
> it included MDAC in the setup files, but for it to install properly, the
> computer for the installation has to have DECOM98 installed. Well, I found
> DECOM98.exe and DECOM98cfg.exe on the VB 6.0 CD.  Now what I need to know is
> what is the sequence for installing my application on the target machine,
> and which Decom file do I use and when do I use it?

Yes, I am also confused that the Setup doesn't include DCOM98 ?!
The correct sequence is:
Install DCOM98 ( and Reboot your Machine )
Install MDAC ( should be installed by the Setup wizzard, Some Systems say
"boot!" some Dont- Reboot your Mashine, it's a save way.
Then Install the Rest of your application.

Quote:

> Additionally, I suppose to test all of this, I need to find a "clean"
> machine to try it on.  For example, how can it determine if DECOM98 is on
> such a machine already.

You don't need a "clean" machine - I have tested it on 2 Computers, a realy
"dirty" win95 and a more dirty win98 ...

Be sure that you use the latest Versions of DCOM98 and MSDAC, MSDAC is includes
with the SP3 but YOU HAVE TO INSTALL IT "BY HAND" on your developing System.

I have spend 2 Weeks for looking for the error. With this ( and your E-Mail) I
found a way that solved my problem.

Regards
Thorsten

1. MDAC & VB ADO Package Deployment

    I'm not certain if these are specifically "ADO Questions" or a "VB
Questions", but I'm certain they are problems that every professional
programmer to use ADO runs into eventually.

    This is the situation:

    I have a commercial program developed and am ready to distribute it, so
obviously I would prefer as many people to be able to use it as possible -
Win95, 98, NT, 2K, 3.1, CE, heck, if I could get it on a mac I would.  The
thing is, if the user doesn't have Access/Office installed, I have to also
distribute MDAC and either DCOM98 or DCOM95 to make my ADO work.

    First question:

    My program isn't that big; with its compacted "start" (Access2K)
database it fits on two floppies.  Many who would use this program
(including my contract, who would test it) would place it on their laptops,
not all of which can connect to the internet, and not all of which have
immense drives/memory/processors on them.  So there is a space concern, and
I'm stuck telling my client to install seventeen to twenty megabytes of
MDAC drivers on eight (compacted) floppies to run my cute *little* 2 meg VB
program.  How do you deal with that?

    MDAC comes with a lot of stuff that I really don't need to distribute
to make my program work.  VBA Expression Service, Oracle drivers, Java ADO,
SQL Server stuff, FoxPro stuff...  when really all I need are the basic ADO
Objects, ODBC, and Access/Jet drivers - you know, for a basic CRUD ADO
Database application.  Is there a way to "trim" this stuff so I only
install specific ADO drivers?

    Second:

    In the docs all around Microsoft, I'm reading about something called a
"quiet" install - that I'm supposed to somehow program "into my install
package" to install DCOM and MDAC (Both of which require restarting the
user's computer).  Could someone show me some code that does this?  Mine
doesn't work.

    Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance, etc.

                                -Sir Chaos

2. bcp in sp

3. is there a DTS.Package.SaveToVBFileAs method?

4. Package & Deployment Wizard Query

5. question With Invalid Cursor State

6. Package & Deployment Wizard

7. Unable to connect to SQL 2K with Enterprise Mgr

8. Package & Deployment Wizard and Bitmaps

9. Package & Deployment Wizard with SQL2000

10. Package&Deployment wizard problem

11. Package & Deployment Wizard Problem

12. package & Deployment Wizard