Web fronted DBMS vs. DBMS backed web

Post by Shell » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I'm studying database management systems as part of my
degree and I'm preparing a question for my exams on the
above topic. Could someone please explain to me the
differences between a web fronted dbms and a dbms backed
web.
thanx for the help

Web fronted DBMS vs. DBMS backed web

Post by Kenny A Chaff » Tue, 18 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> I'm studying database management systems as part of my
> degree and I'm preparing a question for my exams on the
> above topic. Could someone please explain to me the
> differences between a web fronted dbms and a dbms backed
> web.
> thanx for the help

> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

Sounds like the same thing to me.
It seems more a matter of perspective and where the design started. i.e.
which came first, the chicken or the egg?

KAC
--
KAC Website Design
Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

Web fronted DBMS vs. DBMS backed web

Post by natha » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

It's f*cking gibberish.  They both have little to no meaning whatsoever.  This type of language is more about hype and obfuscation than clarity.  Avoid using
this *whenever possible.  I think I found about 3 references to a "web fronted database" on our friend the WWW.

vertigo

p.s. Please forward this to your professor.

> > Hi,
> > I'm studying database management systems as part of my
> > degree and I'm preparing a question for my exams on the
> > above topic. Could someone please explain to me the
> > differences between a web fronted dbms and a dbms backed
> > web.
> > thanx for the help

> > * Sent from AltaVista http://www.veryComputer.com/ Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

> Sounds like the same thing to me.
> It seems more a matter of perspective and where the design started. i.e.
> which came first, the chicken or the egg?

> KAC
> --
> KAC Website Design
> Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

Web fronted DBMS vs. DBMS backed web

Post by Matty Bo » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Perhaps your professor is trying to distinguish between databases that allow
you to view output as HTML (such as Access 97) and web applications and
sites that rely on a database for data storage and retrieval (eg, Yahoo,
Amazon etc).

As the previous poster said, its really a matter of chicken and egg and
arguably this is too subtle a distinction to really matter to anyone except
marketing executives and underworked professors (DON'T put that in your
exam!)

> > Hi,
> > I'm studying database management systems as part of my
> > degree and I'm preparing a question for my exams on the
> > above topic. Could someone please explain to me the
> > differences between a web fronted dbms and a dbms backed
> > web.
> > thanx for the help

> > * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find

related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is
Beautiful

> Sounds like the same thing to me.
> It seems more a matter of perspective and where the design started. i.e.
> which came first, the chicken or the egg?

> KAC
> --
> KAC Website Design
> Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

1. CGI vs other tools for DBMS Front-Ends

We are currently having a debate at our shop over the relative merits of

as Runtime modules), and multi-platform capabilities (PowerBuilder, for
example, currently runs only on MS-Windows clients). The people pushing
for the Web believe we can eliminate these problems via a web-based
solution.

Some other issues we've raised include:

- Security: The Web, particularly in the open Internet, is perceived
  as being not very secure. How true is this, especially in the light
  of very active vendor activity to make it secure.

- Server Load: A Web solution would rely heavily on server CGI scripts.
  It seems like this puts more load on the server. Is this load
  tolerable? Is it better to put more on the Client, as allowed by a
  more conventional system like PowerBuilder?

- Transaction Processing: The Web was not necessarily designed for
  DBMS transaction processing. Will we have, as one my colleagues put
  it, have to write a "mini-CICS" to enable these transactions?

- Development Tools: Conventional tools, like PowerBuilder, provide
  their own set of tools for Client/Server development. In the Web
  world, you are not "presented" with a set of ready-made, integrated
  tools. On the other hand, these tools (Perl, C/C++, etc.) seem to
  be very open. Any thoughts on which approach is better.

- Viewers: Currently, the only web-viewers I've seen are for bit-mapped
  graphics. In DBMS systems, one may also want to generate "business
  graphs", driven by query-data. Are there any solutions to this
  problem?

If there are other issues I've not raised, I'll appreciate them being
discussed too. Thanks.

--

 The Big D

2. How do I restore a database to a state in the past(with a replicant)?

3. NM-ALBUQUERQUE-19249--ORACLE-RDBMS-C-C++-Java-HTML-Oracle Web Master's

4. Querying the full-text catalog

5. ?SSL between SQL Svr 2k on Win2kSvr and a WinXP client

6. asp help

7. DBMS Licensing for WEB use...

8. DBMS - Web Access