GPF in msvbvm60.dll

Post by Craig Patnod » Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm experiencing some problems and wanted to know if I'm the only one in this boat?  Is there a fix or resolution for this problem?

Development Environment - I have a dev machine(NT4 sp4) with VB6.0 installed.   I have installed vse60.98-sp1 & sp2.  Also, I've upgraded to the MDAC2.1 stack.

Deployment Environment - I have tested Win95 & Win98.  On these machines I have installed IE4.01 & Office 97(App requirement).  Also, DCOM98 is installed on the Win9x machines due to the nature of the MDAC stack requirement.

Problem - On the client, after the install is complete, my app GPF's in the msvbvm60.dll when attempting to run the app.

Attempted resolution - In order to figure out why the app was crashing I performed the following steps:
1.)  Installed a New dev machine to ensure my machine was not causing the problem.
2.)  Verified all files in setup were the same file versions on my development environment.
3.)  Double checked that the correct VB6 runtime was on the client machine after the install.
4.)  Verified the Dev environment was complied with the MDAC2.1 stack and that the same MDAC stack was installed on the client during the setup.

Special Notes - When trying to figure out where the GPF was occurring in my code I narrowed it down to the line trying to Dim the UserConnection Designer object.  For some reason when our app attempts to process this line of code the VB6 runtime crashes.

I remember about a year ago there was a problem with the vb5 UserConnection Designer object when ADO was upgraded to 2.0.  Do you think this could be causing the problem?

Another special note is that our app runs when VB is installed on that machine, so this leads me to believe that there is a new dependency for the UserConnection Designer object, where as with version VB6 (retail) with no service pack installed,  the errors on the client did not occur.  While I'm in the process of finding the new requirement or files that I need to include in the setup does anyone know the dependency needed for this to work on the client w/o the vb6 installation?  Is there a special UserConnection Designer Object needed for the client other than the MSCDRUN.DLL? or a new DLL?

Thank you.

1. GPF in msvbvm60.dll

You might be better off using the DataEnvironment as opposed to the
UserConnections

--

Aaron Abdis
American Data Services, Inc.

ICQ#: 24336432

[...]

2. Database crash during a PL/SQL compilation

3. Invalid Page Fault in MSRD2X35.DLL and in MSVBVM60.DLL

4. PROBLEMS AT PILOT SOFTWARE??

5. Illegal operation (MSRD2X35.DLL and MSVBVM60.DLL)

6. hash buckets in 6.5

7. Invalid Page Fault in MSVBVM60.DLL

8. invalid page fault in module MSVBVM60.DLL at 0137:660d5a44

9. Page Fault in MSVBVM60.dll

10. msvbvm60.dll

11. inetinfo.exe crashes in msvbvm60.dll while resolving conflicts

12. my VB6 app doesn't run without msvbvm60.dll