Re-Install MDAC

Post by Pekka Suomine » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 00:34:03

How to Re-Install MDAC version 2.5?

I allways get message:
Fatal Setup Error:
Microsoft Data Access Components 2.5 is already installed on the version of
windows you are runnning. Setup cannot update the system...

I don't want to upgrade to ver 2.6. But my data components are coppupted and
must re-install... but how can I pass this message?

--
T: Pekka Suominen

Re-Install MDAC

Post by Tom Gilme » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 01:36:45

The Component Checker might be able to help. You can get it from:

http://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm

 - Tom

Quote:> How to Re-Install MDAC version 2.5?

> I allways get message:
> Fatal Setup Error:
> Microsoft Data Access Components 2.5 is already installed on the
version of
> windows you are runnning. Setup cannot update the system...

> I don't want to upgrade to ver 2.6. But my data components are
coppupted and
> must re-install... but how can I pass this message?

> --
> T: Pekka Suominen

Re-Install MDAC

Post by Carl Prothma » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 01:58:04

Pekka,
On Windows 2000 machines, you must install Windows 2000 SP1 which installs
MDAC 2.5 SP1.    You will not be able to install MDAC 2.5 directly on a
Windows 2000 machine since MDAC 2.5 is now considered part of the OS (and
hence protected - except for the ODBC Drivers which can be stomped on...).
Also, you can install MDAC 2.6 directly on Windows 2000.
http://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm

Carl Prothman
Microsoft Visual Basic MVP
http://www.able-consulting.com

Quote:> How to Re-Install MDAC version 2.5?

> I allways get message:
> Fatal Setup Error:
> Microsoft Data Access Components 2.5 is already installed on the version
of
> windows you are runnning. Setup cannot update the system...

> I don't want to upgrade to ver 2.6. But my data components are coppupted
and
> must re-install... but how can I pass this message?

> --
> T: Pekka Suominen

1. Unable to install MDAC 2.6 over MDAC 2.5 SP2 - rolls back

I am attempting to install MDAC 2.6 on a machine running Windows 2000
Server. Each time I run mdac_typ.exe it copies the files and proceeds
for a while before rolling back.

The dasetup.log file that is generated during the installation has the
following at the end of the file:

Errors collection: Severity: 100, Type: 2, Code: 0x80004005, Title:
(null), Text: Unspecified error

Error: The following error was encountered during setup:
*** (null):
        Unspecified error

        (Severity: 100, Type: 2, Code: 0x80004005)

I have done a clean install of Windows 2000 Server and installed SP2
of the OS. This installation comes with MDAC 2.5 SP2. I have no
software on this machine other than the OS and Oracle client
8.1.7.1.5. I have no other software running during installation.

I have found this exact problem on this news group
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=e9e78928dbea88d8&seekm=ue6Av...>
but the work-around given does not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

-Gayan

2. 8624 - Internal SQl error

3. Cannot connect to SQL Server 7 after reinstalling MDAC 2.6

4. ADO Timeout

5. How to reinstall MDAC 2.5 on Win2k with Component Checker

6. MSDataShape 0xe06d7363 exceptions

7. Reinstalling MDAC 2.5

8. VB4 And Faxworks DDE

9. How to reinstall mdac 2.5?

10. Reinstalling MDAC 2.51 on W2K

11. sp3 install hangs on "installing mdac"

12. OLAP Provider Missing but do not wish to install MDAC 2.6 to install OLAP provider

13. Install mdac 2.5 when having 2.6 installed