Error 429 and RDO?

Post by Mitch » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

There is apparently a known issue with VB5 SP3 and RDO wherein the first
reference to RDO in an app causes Error 429 "Cannot create Active X object".
I don't know the issue number, but it's on the MS Knowledge base.

Anyway, if you download the fix, it solves the error on the development
machine but the error still occurs on the clients.  I'm not why this is,
because we are sure to re-package/re-compile the application after the fix
has been installed.

Please, if anyone knows a workaround (other than installing VB5 on all
clients...EEK!), let me know.

Error 429 and RDO?

Post by Steve Kasput » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am running vb5 sp3 and rdo and do not get this.  I also have not
installed the fix.  I would be interested if you have any other
information on this.

Thanks,
Steve

Quote:>There is apparently a known issue with VB5 SP3 and RDO wherein the first
>reference to RDO in an app causes Error 429 "Cannot create Active X object".
>I don't know the issue number, but it's on the MS Knowledge base.

>Anyway, if you download the fix, it solves the error on the development
>machine but the error still occurs on the clients.  I'm not why this is,
>because we are sure to re-package/re-compile the application after the fix
>has been installed.

>Please, if anyone knows a workaround (other than installing VB5 on all
>clients...EEK!), let me know.

Error 429 and RDO?

Post by Tarik Sada » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Mitch

The article is Q181852. Apparently it was reviewed last week (by
Microsoft?).

It suggests you run regsvr32 to re-register the msrdo20.dll. It even says
"This behaviour is by design"! However I've run this and it makes no
difference. I still get error 429 at the first reference to rdo. I have also
completely reinstalled VB5 & SP3, as well as the whole of Oracle8 client,
and MDAC! This has suddenly started happening to a project that has worked
fine for over a year....

Help!

Tarik Sadat,
Applied Materials,
Horsham, UK.

Error 429 and RDO?

Post by MS » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

You are running VB 5 Enterprise Edition and not trying to use RDO with the Professional Edition? RDO is ONLY licenced for use in Enterprise Edition. The DLLs are present in the Professional Edition because they are used by DAO with ODBCDirect. DLLs but no licence gives Error 429.

Regards,
Simon Jones
MillStream Designs Ltd
Independent IT Consultants

  There is apparently a known issue with VB5 SP3 and RDO wherein the first
  reference to RDO in an app causes Error 429 "Cannot create Active X object".
  I don't know the issue number, but it's on the MS Knowledge base.

  Anyway, if you download the fix, it solves the error on the development
  machine but the error still occurs on the clients.  I'm not why this is,
  because we are sure to re-package/re-compile the application after the fix
  has been installed.

  Please, if anyone knows a workaround (other than installing VB5 on all
  clients...EEK!), let me know.

Error 429 and RDO?

Post by Tarik Sada » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I found this article in the knowledge base which fixed the problem!

Tarik.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q181/8/54.asp

Error 429 and RDO?

Post by Spik » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Mitch,

    I experienced the same problem here. I ran the MS fix as found on the
Knowledge base but it did not work...in fact, it made things worse. I
ultimately fixed it by (believe it or not) installing VB 6.0!  After
this...everything worked fine.  The one mystery left unsolved is why the app
worked fine on the dev machine with VB 5.0 SP3?????

Mike (Spike) Desjardins
Technical Sales Engineer, ASD
Pronexus Inc.
an Active Voice company
http://www.pronexus.com

Quote:> There is apparently a known issue with VB5 SP3 and RDO wherein the first
> reference to RDO in an app causes Error 429 "Cannot create Active X
object".
> I don't know the issue number, but it's on the MS Knowledge base.

> Anyway, if you download the fix, it solves the error on the development
> machine but the error still occurs on the clients.  I'm not why this is,
> because we are sure to re-package/re-compile the application after the fix
> has been installed.

> Please, if anyone knows a workaround (other than installing VB5 on all
> clients...EEK!), let me know.

Error 429 and RDO?

Post by Bob Muno » Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Could this have anything to do with RDO does not install properly on
machines that do not have ODBC installed first?  Just a guess, I recall this
to be an issue somewhere but can not recall the details.

> Mitch,

>     I experienced the same problem here. I ran the MS fix as found on the
> Knowledge base but it did not work...in fact, it made things worse. I
> ultimately fixed it by (believe it or not) installing VB 6.0!  After
> this...everything worked fine.  The one mystery left unsolved is why the
app
> worked fine on the dev machine with VB 5.0 SP3?????

> Mike (Spike) Desjardins
> Technical Sales Engineer, ASD
> Pronexus Inc.
> an Active Voice company
> http://www.pronexus.com

> > There is apparently a known issue with VB5 SP3 and RDO wherein the first
> > reference to RDO in an app causes Error 429 "Cannot create Active X
> object".
> > I don't know the issue number, but it's on the MS Knowledge base.

> > Anyway, if you download the fix, it solves the error on the development
> > machine but the error still occurs on the clients.  I'm not why this is,
> > because we are sure to re-package/re-compile the application after the
fix
> > has been installed.

> > Please, if anyone knows a workaround (other than installing VB5 on all
> > clients...EEK!), let me know.

Error 429 and RDO?

Post by Spik » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Well everyone....it looks like I solved the RDO 429 error on our system here
but it was certainly not a likely workaround...but it was not too painful,
nonetheless.

I simply ran the VB 6.0 setup and chose to only install the data access
components.  The only downside was I had to recreate all of my dsn's in my
ODBC setup...(had a backup anyway).  So that's the scoop!  It worked for me.
Good plan if your need to keep your app in VB 5.0 and use RDO.

Spike

> Could this have anything to do with RDO does not install properly on
> machines that do not have ODBC installed first?  Just a guess, I recall
this
> to be an issue somewhere but can not recall the details.

> > Mitch,

> >     I experienced the same problem here. I ran the MS fix as found on
the
> > Knowledge base but it did not work...in fact, it made things worse. I
> > ultimately fixed it by (believe it or not) installing VB 6.0!  After
> > this...everything worked fine.  The one mystery left unsolved is why the
> app
> > worked fine on the dev machine with VB 5.0 SP3?????

> > Mike (Spike) Desjardins
> > Technical Sales Engineer, ASD
> > Pronexus Inc.
> > an Active Voice company
> > http://www.pronexus.com

> > > There is apparently a known issue with VB5 SP3 and RDO wherein the
first
> > > reference to RDO in an app causes Error 429 "Cannot create Active X
> > object".
> > > I don't know the issue number, but it's on the MS Knowledge base.

> > > Anyway, if you download the fix, it solves the error on the
development
> > > machine but the error still occurs on the clients.  I'm not why this
is,
> > > because we are sure to re-package/re-compile the application after the
> fix
> > > has been installed.

> > > Please, if anyone knows a workaround (other than installing VB5 on all
> > > clients...EEK!), let me know.

Error 429 and RDO?

Post by Peter Kasso » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

It seems that I'm having the same problem with RDO with VB 6 on
an NT machine, it is working fine on a 95 machine.   I tried manually
re- registering the msrdo20.dll as well as reinstalling just the data
access components with no luck?  Can anybody help??
-Teresa

Error 429 and RDO?

Post by MS » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Which edition of VB 6? RDO only works with Enterprise Edition.

Regards,
Simon Jones
MillStream Designs Ltd
Independent IT Consultants

  It seems that I'm having the same problem with RDO with VB 6 on
  an NT machine, it is working fine on a 95 machine.   I tried manually
  re- registering the msrdo20.dll as well as reinstalling just the data
  access components with no luck?  Can anybody help??
  -Teresa

Error 429 and RDO?

Post by Brian Perkin » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Teresa,

I'm having the same problem - and I AM using the Enterprise Edition (SP3),
MDAC 2.1, NT4 SP5, tried all the patches and crutches M$ could offer.
Still... nada!!!

Brian
--
reply address is "antispamulated" - real address is: briankperkins (at)
geocities.com

Which edition of VB 6? RDO only works with Enterprise Edition.

Regards,
Simon Jones
MillStream Designs Ltd
Independent IT Consultants

Error 429 and RDO?

Post by Brian Perkin » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I HAVE THE FIX!!!

If the problem you are having is with RDO v1, then this will work every
time!
Chances are, you have one or more machines that are working, but at one time
had VB4 installed.  Right?
The one(s) that is/are not working have never had VB4 installed.  Right?

Well...
You have to run the VB4 Enterprise setup and deselect EVERYTHING except for
the remote data stuff checkbox under the Enterprise options heading.

I haven't taken the time to determine if it's the files, registry entries,
or both that fixes the problem.  But. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a
damn!"

Brian