DDE Send has a limit of 255 characters

Post by Long Huyn » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi All,

I try to send a long text string (more than 255 characters) to a DDE server application - a
contact management program, which will append the text to its memo field once it receive
the data.

The problem is that the string variable holding the data can only fot up to 255 characters.

Is this a limitation of Delphi, or is this an inherit limitation from Windows on DDE
conversations?  I am inclined to think it is Windows, because in testing with a copy of VB
also, their LinkItem property could not accept more than 255 characters also.

Can this be overcome by using straight API calls to impliment DDE transactions?  I
appreciate any help.

Long Huynh

Post by Donald R. Odd » Mon, 13 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Hi All,

>I try to send a long text string (more than 255 characters) to a DDE server
>application - a contact management program, which will append the text to
>its memo field once it receive the data.

>The problem is that the string variable holding the data can only fot up
>to 255 characters.

>Is this a limitation of Delphi, or is this an inherit limitation from Windows
>on DDE conversations?  I am inclined to think it is Windows, because in
>testing with a copy of VB also, their LinkItem property could not accept
>more than 255 characters also.

>Can this be overcome by using straight API calls to impliment DDE
>transactions?  I appreciate any help.

I expect it is a Windows limitation.
I would get round it by placing the contents of the string variable in
the clipboard in Delphi and pasting it from there in your other application.

--
Donald Oddy
Grove Systems Ltd.                                    0161-224 4465

DDE Send has a limit of 255 characters

Post by Chris Hanag » Tue, 14 Nov 1995 04:00:00

From Delphi.hlp:

** quote **
 TDDEServerItem Component

Properties      Methods Events  Tasks

Unit

DDEMan

Description

A TDDEServerItem component defines the item of a DDE conversation.
Use it by itself, or optionally, with a TDDEServerConv component
to make your application a DDE server.
To use a TDDEServerItem component with a TDDEServerConv component,
specify the name of a TDDEServerConv component in the ServerConv
property.
The actual text data to exchange with the DDE client is specified
in the Text property. When the client requests an update, your
server sends the contents of the Text property to the client. When
the Text property is modified, either by your own application or

Quote:>when the client pokes data, an OnChange event occurs. For text
>data longer than the 255-character limit of Text, use the Lines
>property to specify the data to exchange.

To test a link with a DDE client, use the CopyToClipboard method.
This method will copy the contents of Text (or Lines), as well
as DDE link information to the Clipboard. Then, if the DDE client
can paste links, you can activate the client and paste the DDE data
into the client application.

In addition to these properties, methods, and events, this component
also has the properties and methods that apply to all components.

** endquote **

I know Borland catches a lot of flack for poor documentation,
but, believe it or not, there is a great deal of information
sitting just behind the <F1> key.

HTH
Chris

1. Datatype for texts having more than 255 characters

Hi, how can I access easily a custom field that can process more than 255
characters?

I would like to use a varchar(3000) or a char(3000) if it is possible...

I dont want to use a text (memo) field because it would be quite complicate
to use a writetext/readtext statement instead of a select/updtate statement.

How is the easiest to process texts having more than 255 characters?

Regards,

Etienne.
Montreal

2. Menu building question...

3. DB-LIB varchar fields limited to 255 characters

4. HELP: dksetup for MAC

5. 255 Character Limit in SQL Strings

6. Primary Keys in ADO Datable with XML Schemas.

7. Character Count limited to 255

8. How to Connect to SQL 2000 PE on XP from Win98SE

9. sp_OACreate 255 character limit

10. 255 character limit on text columns?

11. 255 character limit in Paradox alpha fields

12. 255 SQL character limit

13. Query Parameter in Access Limited to 255 characters.