VB 16 bit vs 32 bit on NT machine

Post by Julie Wats » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

My work environment is updating our Win 3.11 machines to Win NT
machines.  I have resisted changing my machine due to a huge
production program that is still requiring daily changes written in 16
bit.  This program must remain in 16 bit since it runs on a Win 3.11
machine.  The second part of this program is an application that will
run on all the NT machines.

For my benifit I would like to update my machine (I'm tired of the
GPF's).  I would also like to update the second program to 32 bit.

1.  Can I install 32 bit VB on a NT machine and still work on the 16
bit program? Or do I have to install both versions (if possible?)
2.  Am I able to compile as 16 bit from the 32 bit app?
3.  I have already gone through converting from VB 3.0 to VB 4.0.
Will updating the second program from 16 to 32 be as bad or does the
conversion go easy?  I have a lot of controls and Crystal Report VBX
on this program.
4.   I would appreciate any suggestions or if there is a web location
with information a pointer to it would be great!

Thanks for your help!
Julie

Post by Mark Wagon » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

>My work environment is updating our Win 3.11 machines to Win NT
>machines.  I have resisted changing my machine due to a huge
>production program that is still requiring daily changes written in 16
>bit.  This program must remain in 16 bit since it runs on a Win 3.11
>machine.  The second part of this program is an application that will
>run on all the NT machines.
>For my benifit I would like to update my machine (I'm tired of the
>GPF's).  I would also like to update the second program to 32 bit.
>1.  Can I install 32 bit VB on a NT machine and still work on the 16
>bit program? Or do I have to install both versions (if possible?)
>2.  Am I able to compile as 16 bit from the 32 bit app?
>3.  I have already gone through converting from VB 3.0 to VB 4.0.
>Will updating the second program from 16 to 32 be as bad or does the
>conversion go easy?  I have a lot of controls and Crystal Report VBX
>on this program.
>4.   I would appreciate any suggestions or if there is a web location
>with information a pointer to it would be great!
>Thanks for your help!
>Julie

You need to intall both 32 and 16 bit.  You then compile 16 bit apps using
16 bbit VB and 32 bit apps using 32 bit VB.  To convert from 16 to 32, you
will propbably have to replace any OCXs with 32 bit versions.  This can be
tedious, the easiest way I found was to manualy edit the .VBP file.

--
Mark Wagoner

VB 16 bit vs 32 bit on NT machine

Post by Jes Sherborn » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> 1.  Can I install 32 bit VB on a NT machine and still work on the 16
> bit program? Or do I have to install both versions (if possible?)

You can install VB4-16 and VB4-32 on a machine running NT, so you can
develop for both 16- and 32-bit.

Quote:> 2.  Am I able to compile as 16 bit from the 32 bit app?

The 16-bit version of VB makes 16-bit apps. The 32-bit version of VB makes
32-bit apps. If you're careful, you should be able to compile the same
source code in both the 16-bit and 32-bit environments.

Quote:> 3.  I have already gone through converting from VB 3.0 to VB 4.0.
> Will updating the second program from 16 to 32 be as bad or does the
> conversion go easy?  I have a lot of controls and Crystal Report VBX
> on this program.

First off, if you want to create applications for 32-bit, they can't use
VBXs. You'll have to track down 16- and 32-bit OCXs if you want to use the
same code files for the two versions. I found a lot of 16-bit OCXs to be
extremely buggy, so you may want to think this through carefully (the
32-bit versions were typically much more stable). Depending on which
third-party controls you use, the upgrade process could be straightforward
or fairly annoying.

If you call a lot of DLL functions, you have even more work cut out for
you. You'll probably need to change all of your Declare statements, API
type declarations, and variable declarations for the variables you pass to
the DLLs.

Good luck!