RDO connection status?

Post by Paul Brownjoh » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 06:32:56

Hi Folks

I have just taken over maintenance of an app that uses RDO.

Now, I have never used RDO before, DAO and ADO, yes, but never RDO.

Is there an easy and reliable method of checking the status of the database
connection as you can in ADO? I have searched the MSDN but it is pretty
unhelpful on that subject (unusual that).

Cheers

Paul BJ

RDO connection status?

Post by Mike Labos » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 03:55:25

I haven't used RDO since 1998, so I have nothing very useful to say, but
another alternative that you could at least consider, is changing the app to
use ADO instead of RDO, but depending on the size of the project, that very
well could be a bad idea.

--
Peace and happy computing,

Mike Labosh, MCP, MCT, MCSD
"Hit any user to continue."

RDO connection status?

Post by Paul Brownjoh » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 04:44:56

Yes, that was my reaction exactly, its only a small app and we have to add
significant functionality so the overhead of doing the conversion (to a
technology that I am familiar with) would be minimal in the context of the
overall spend. However when I suggested doing just that, my boss muttered
darkly that my predecessor had already tried it and failed; although he
didn't know why!

One of the DBs we have to connect to is on a remote network that belongs to
someone else and its a Sybase System 11 animal. One of the problems may have
been that we don't have any OLE DB drivers for this DB as we ourselves don't
use it. Obviously we have some kind of ODBC driver (from Merant I think)
that manages the current connectivity but whether that includes an OLE DB
driver I am not sure. I guess we could use ADO with the existing ODBC kit
but I am not going to win any prizes for popularity if I try it, hit
problems and waste days and days trying to sort them.

Cheers

Paul BJ

Quote:> I haven't used RDO since 1998, so I have nothing very useful to say, but
> another alternative that you could at least consider, is changing the app
> use ADO instead of RDO, but depending on the size of the project, that
very
> well could be a bad idea.

> --
> Peace and happy computing,

> Mike Labosh, MCP, MCT, MCSD
> "Hit any user to continue."

RDO connection status?

Post by Mike Labos » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 05:15:54

Quote:> overall spend. However when I suggested doing just that, my boss muttered
> darkly that my predecessor had already tried it and failed; although he
> didn't know why!

Politely inform your boss that s/he is a heretic, and then use the OLE-DB
provider for ODBC.  ;)

--
Peace and happy computing,

Mike Labosh, MCP, MCT, MCSD
"Hit any user to continue."

RDO connection status?

Post by Paul Brownjoh » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 00:20:15

The database that we have to address (sensibly) denies all table access so
all reads are done using views and all writes employ stored procedures.

I remember when I first started writing ADO code having the Devil's own job
getting a writable recordset back from a call to execute a stored procedure.
I started off using Microsoft's own example code which makes use of a
command object and as far as I can recall, the command object can only
return a read only recordset . Somewhere buried deep within the bowels of
the MSDN was some code that would have done the job for me but the MSDN is
now so large and so badly indexed that is almost impossible to find the
simplest thing.  In the end, I posted a query on a newsgroup and a guy who
works in a firm who had called in Microsoft Consultants to write their ADO
code delved into the data access classes that they had written and sent me
an extract of code that demonstrated how to use a command object to send
parameters to the database in combination with recordset .Open resulting in
a writable recordset .

My best guess is that the person who attempted unsuccessfully to use ADO to
do this job was unaware of how to get a writable recordset from a stored
procedure call using a command object.

Cheers

Paul

Quote:> > overall spend. However when I suggested doing just that, my boss
muttered
> > darkly that my predecessor had already tried it and failed; although he
> > didn't know why!

> Politely inform your boss that s/he is a heretic, and then use the OLE-DB
> provider for ODBC.  ;)

> --
> Peace and happy computing,

> Mike Labosh, MCP, MCT, MCSD
> "Hit any user to continue."

1. Urgent!! Normal RDO connection vs Stand-alone connection

Hi,

Could someone please tell me the implications of using a stand-alone RDO
connection to an Oracle 7.3.4 database, compared to a normal rdo
connection in VB 5.

My current application won't connect to the oracle database using a
normal connection, but another test application connects using a
stand-alone connection.
Should I add the connection object to the connections collection after
connecting to the database.

I need to know what will happen when I distribute the application to
other users.

Cheers

Gee

2. Contract - Spatial Database Tester - Oracle based applications - GIS ArcView

3. RDO and Parameter Query/returning status... using Sybase

4. Foreign key, INSERT or UPDATE

5. RDO and Parameter Query/Return Status using Sybase

6. major security concern - any sql user with minimal permission can see code for all stored procs and triggers

7. stored procedures: return codes and return status with rdo

8. Help: Designing For Easier Queries

9. SQL, RDO: Connection is busy with results for another hstmt

10. rdo connection to access database

11. RDO Connection

12. RDO DSNless SyBase connection question.

13. RDO connection - argument between processes