ADO Error - Is it a version conflict?

Post by Juerg Zgragge » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:18:03

hi

on my developer computer i have ado 2.6 installed. on our
server is ado 2.5 installed. now when i try to execute my
compiled programm on my computer everything works fine.
but when executing on the server i get an error:

Com-Exception thrown:
   Code = 80004003
   Code meaning = Invalid pointer
   Source = (null)
   Description = (null)

i read in newsgroups about that error but im not sure if
it is really a version conflict??? does anybody know it
excactly why that exception is thrown? is there so much
difference between ado 2.5 and 2.6? how can i solve it
(does i have to install ado 2.5 on my developer machine
again for compiling)?

thanx for every answer
regards,
juerg zgraggen

ADO Error - Is it a version conflict?

Post by Roy Fin » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 04:24:12

Juerg

if you are going to support computers that may have ado2.5 installed on
them, then you likely need a development machine that also has ado2.5, just
to be able to reproduce these sorts of problems.  all too often i see
developers that will put the latest and greatest of everything on their
development machines (ado27, windowsxp. etc, etc) and all the while
supporting a mjority of the installed bases of their products on a windows
nt system with ado2.5.

that said, invalid pointer suggests that a CoCreateInstance did not return
HRESULT of 0, and you app did not check for same.  if you are using #import
and smartpoitner classes, then likely a call to the class CreateInstance
failed, and the internal com object pointer is null - and again your code
did not check the completion code on the CreateInstance - note that
CreateInstance does not thow the _com_error exception - rather you have to
check the status code from the CreateInstance call or optionally, check the
value of the internal pointer for NULL.  Following this, you will be able to
discern on which interface the null pointer is being returned, then we can
check to see if that interface is available in the different versions of
ado.

regards
roy fine

Quote:> hi

> on my developer computer i have ado 2.6 installed. on our
> server is ado 2.5 installed. now when i try to execute my
> compiled programm on my computer everything works fine.
> but when executing on the server i get an error:

> Com-Exception thrown:
>    Code = 80004003
>    Code meaning = Invalid pointer
>    Source = (null)
>    Description = (null)

> i read in newsgroups about that error but im not sure if
> it is really a version conflict??? does anybody know it
> excactly why that exception is thrown? is there so much
> difference between ado 2.5 and 2.6? how can i solve it
> (does i have to install ado 2.5 on my developer machine
> again for compiling)?

> thanx for every answer
> regards,
> juerg zgraggen

ADO Error - Is it a version conflict?

Post by Jeff Henkel » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:16:42

Note that you don't necessarily have to install ADO 2.5 on your dev machine;
you should be able to get by just copying the ADO 2.5 TLB files to your dev
machine.  If your app is in C++, you simply #import the 2.5 TLB file instead
of the 2.6 one.

> Juerg

> if you are going to support computers that may have ado2.5 installed on
> them, then you likely need a development machine that also has ado2.5,
just
> to be able to reproduce these sorts of problems.  all too often i see
> developers that will put the latest and greatest of everything on their
> development machines (ado27, windowsxp. etc, etc) and all the while
> supporting a mjority of the installed bases of their products on a windows
> nt system with ado2.5.

> that said, invalid pointer suggests that a CoCreateInstance did not return
> HRESULT of 0, and you app did not check for same.  if you are using
#import
> and smartpoitner classes, then likely a call to the class CreateInstance
> failed, and the internal com object pointer is null - and again your code
> did not check the completion code on the CreateInstance - note that
> CreateInstance does not thow the _com_error exception - rather you have to
> check the status code from the CreateInstance call or optionally, check
the
> value of the internal pointer for NULL.  Following this, you will be able
> discern on which interface the null pointer is being returned, then we can
> check to see if that interface is available in the different versions of
> ado.

> regards
> roy fine

> > hi

> > on my developer computer i have ado 2.6 installed. on our
> > server is ado 2.5 installed. now when i try to execute my
> > compiled programm on my computer everything works fine.
> > but when executing on the server i get an error:

> > Com-Exception thrown:
> >    Code = 80004003
> >    Code meaning = Invalid pointer
> >    Source = (null)
> >    Description = (null)

> > i read in newsgroups about that error but im not sure if
> > it is really a version conflict??? does anybody know it
> > excactly why that exception is thrown? is there so much
> > difference between ado 2.5 and 2.6? how can i solve it
> > (does i have to install ado 2.5 on my developer machine
> > again for compiling)?

> > thanx for every answer
> > regards,
> > juerg zgraggen

1. Upgrading to ADO from RDO and ADO Version Conflicts

I have two problems.  First of all I have upgraded an
application from RDO to ADO and data access is slower.  I
am accessing an Oracle 8.17 database using a DSN
connection through ODBC.  Any suggestions?

My second problem seems to be ADO version conflicts.  My
application uses MDAC 2.5, but it will not run properly on
Windows 2000 computers with MDAC 2.5 Service Pack 1 or
Service Pack 2. It will run fine if I compile my
application using the same version of MDAC that is pre-
installed with the service packs.  Do I have to make a
separate setup package for each version?

Also at the place I work there are applications that use
MDAC 2.1 on Windows 95/98 computers.  If my application is
installed on a user's computer who also has an application
already installed using 2.1 will the other application not
work anymore?  How do I handle situations like this?

I would appreciate any advice offered.  Thank you.

Ronnie Stegall

2. Foxpro 6 -- textbox question

3. version conflict of ADO and JRO

4. Strange effect with UNION

5. ADO error: Cannot resolve collation conflict for column n in SELECT statement

6. Question on actions

7. SQL2000 ADO error in UpdateBatch, from connection conflict?

8. Informix/DBA-Career Position/Relo

9. error ORA-01855: AM/A.M. or PM/P.M. required

10. ADO data control 6.0 and ADO data object 2.1 conflict

11. ADO Data Control conflicts with ADO 2.5 Library

12. SQL version conflicts

13. Potential ODBC Version Conflicts