Oracle 7.2, ODBC, VB 4 (16bit) and updatable problem

Oracle 7.2, ODBC, VB 4 (16bit) and updatable problem

Post by Greg Vinal » Wed, 13 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I am using VB 4 (16bit) [and the problem occurred when I used VB 3 as
well]
and ODBC to connect to Oracle 7.2 on a unix file server.

When I connect to the table map_2 (as the owner of map_2) I can update
the table
 -- no sweat.

But when I connect to the synonym w2maps (which is the synonym for
map_2) I cannot
update the synonym.

[BTW In oracle, using sqlplus I can update the synonym as the same user,
so permissions by Oracle are OK.]

To solve the problem how do I either:
 - make a connection to a synonym updatable, or
 - use a connect property such as wlcdba.map_2 (which is the original
table name plus schema)

I do not know where really to look: is it:
 - a setting in ODBC.INI I must change?
 - something I must do in Oracle?
 - not use the 2.5/3.0 DAO library?
 - use a different syntax (as at the moment I cannot use the
wlcdba.map_2 syntax in the connect string, and I cannot use an SQL
statement because that is not updatable)?
 - slit my throat?

Greg Vinall

Oracle 7.2, ODBC, VB 4 (16bit) and updatable problem

Post by Nat Nataraja » Wed, 13 Nov 1996 04:00:00

hi,

        Here is some info that I could dig up on accessing external databases
thro' ODBC & Jet.
(Your problem could be completely different but this is worth a shot!!)

The ODBC driver installation program is supposed to update your system
registry(win 95 Jet 3.0 - 32 bit) or your VB.ini file(Jet 2.5 - 16-bit)
with some default settings.
(check for registry setting under the
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet20\InstallableISAM\" subkey !!)

        If that does not exist I beleive you can explicitly specify these settings
in your <Application>.INI file. The only setting that you probably need is
the following.
Create a section called [ODBC] in your <APP>.ini file and enter the
following setting -
AttachableObjects='TABLE','VIEW','SYSTEM TABLE','ALIAS','SYNONYM'
(Look under the VB help topic "changing ODBC settings" for more details.

The easiest way to test if you can access Oracle Synonyms/Views is to try
to attach them to an existing Access 2.0 table.
If you cannot attach synonyms to access tables, check for these settings
(AttachableObjects=) in your MSACC20.ini file under section [ODBC] (add
them if you don't have any) and try attaching them. If it works then you
can do one of the following things -

        1. Access the synonyms as attached tables thro' an MSAccess .mdb file
        2. Modify your <app>.ini (or any other .ini) file to include the settings
shown above
        3. In your VB application before you open any datasource/data control
initialize your DBEngine to point to your .ini file using the "INIPath
property of the DBEngine object.
        Example : DBEngine.Inipath = "C:\Myapp\MyApp.ini"

I beleive this is supposed to work.

Good luck
If you send me more details I may be able to help. If you get it to work I
would appreciate if you send me an Email.

regards

Nat

Nat

Quote:> I am using VB 4 (16bit) [and the problem occurred when I used VB 3 as
> well]
> and ODBC to connect to Oracle 7.2 on a unix file server.

> When I connect to the table map_2 (as the owner of map_2) I can update
> the table
>  -- no sweat.

> But when I connect to the synonym w2maps (which is the synonym for
> map_2) I cannot
> update the synonym.

> [BTW In oracle, using sqlplus I can update the synonym as the same user,
> so permissions by Oracle are OK.]

> To solve the problem how do I either:
>  - make a connection to a synonym updatable, or
>  - use a connect property such as wlcdba.map_2 (which is the original
> table name plus schema)

> I do not know where really to look: is it:
>  - a setting in ODBC.INI I must change?
>  - something I must do in Oracle?
>  - not use the 2.5/3.0 DAO library?
>  - use a different syntax (as at the moment I cannot use the
> wlcdba.map_2 syntax in the connect string, and I cannot use an SQL
> statement because that is not updatable)?
>  - slit my throat?

> Greg Vinall

1. Problem using VB 4.0, RDO 1.0b, Visigenic 32bit ODBC and ORacle 7.2

We are building an application in VB 4.0 and Oracle 7.2. We are using
Visigenic 32bit ODBC (thru RDO 1.0b) to retrieve data from Oracle.
After a given number of retrieves we get this error:

NA000:[Visigenic][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle]Error while trying to retrieve
text for error ORA-00000

Do anyone have a solution for this ?

Odd Martin Solem
Avenir AS

2. How to play MIDI and WAV from VB ????

3. Personal Oracle 7.2 Win95/Oracle ODBC/Delphi 2.0 Problems

4. HOUSTON - Oracle Developer/DBA seeks week-end/after-hours work

5. ORACLE 7.2 - ODBC - MS ACCESS 2.0 char(1) problem

6. Sr. Programmers/Analyst,Schaumburg,IL

7. PWIN 4.5 Query question: how to implement this?

8. Db2 UDB 7.2 FP8 - JDBC Drivers and Updatable Resultsets

9. Oracle 16bit ODBC driver on NT4 problem

10. Oracle installer problem (Oracle 7.2)

11. Oracle 7.2 and VB 6 error

12. Cannot access Oracle 7.2 database via VB app.