Problem with notify events

Post by Kerry Sande » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have a form setup that is very basic in nature.  It is basically a user
entry form where the user can enter a user ID, name, address information, etc.
The fields on this form are all tied to a database that I access using the
data access components from SuccessWare.  They should work the same as the BDE
components.  However, I am having a problem catching when the UserID is
changed.  I want to grab the value that it gets changed to and check the
database to see if that UserID already exists.  If so, I do not want to allow
the user to change their UserID to that value.

I have tried setting up a check in the OnSetText event for the field, but that
never got hit.  I also tried setting up a check in the OnBeforePost event for
the table itself, but when I tried doing it there and raising an exception
like the help suggests, it just keeps looping around to that same procedure
and eventually, the system crashes.

Can someone suggest any light on what I might be doing wrong?  If I need to
post anything further, please let me know.  There really isn't any code to the
form, as I said, all the fields are tied to the database by the data aware
components, and when the user clicks the Save button, it calls the Post
method.

If you could, please copy your post to my email address as well, because I may
not be able to make it back here for a day or so.

Thanks.

-----
Kerry Sanders

http://www.mindspring.com/~ksanders

1. GET IMMEDIATELY NOTIFIED OF IMPORTANT NT-EVENTS

Sunbelt Software is going into its fourth year of
publishing NTools E-News. Over 400,000 of your
colleagues are subscribing to this free email
newsletter. It normally appears once every two
weeks, but NewsFlashes are sent when important
things like Service Packs appear or other urgent
NT-related data surfaces. Click below for your free
subscription. (unsubscribing takes about 10 seconds
and you can do that at any time)

http://lyris.sunbelt-software.com/scripts/lyris.pl?join=nt-list

Sunbelt Software is the World's first and largest
distributor of Windows NT system management utilities.
You can find us at: www.sunbelt-software.com

2. SQL Server 7 and Disk Partitions

3. Concatenate and format dates...HELP!!

4. ODBC Install progammatically

5. DMO code samples?

6. W4GL App to notify user of completion of an event

7. Three event logged in the event view About SQLAgent whenever clear the event logs or failover

8. problem with notify/listen

9. event ID 64001 File replacement in a cluster and event ID 64004