Oracle JDBC drivers

Post by Wes Gamb » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 01:29:02

Thanks in advance for any help.

Can anyone point me to some potential vendors of Oracle 8i JDBC
drivers (Type IV of course)?

I know about I-Net in Germany
(http://www.inetsoftware.de/English/Produkte/JDBC_Overview/oracle.htm)

I assume that Oracle sells their JDBC drivers, although their Web site
is so complicated that I can't figure out if they sell them separately
or not.

Other vendors I'm not aware of.

Any info. on good/bad experiences with the drivers that you are using
is welcomed.

Thanks,
Wes Gamble

Oracle JDBC drivers

Post by AV » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 01:56:15

Oracle does NOT sell their driver. There are several
drivers supplied with any Oracle database or
Oracle client distribution. Orcale drivers
available for FREE download here (free registration)
http://otn.oracle.com/software/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/content.html

There is also Oracle driver from BEA.  They claim better
performance. You can visit their site for more info.

AlexV.

> Thanks in advance for any help.

> Can anyone point me to some potential vendors of Oracle 8i JDBC
> drivers (Type IV of course)?

> I know about I-Net in Germany
> (http://www.inetsoftware.de/English/Produkte/JDBC_Overview/oracle.htm)

> I assume that Oracle sells their JDBC drivers, although their Web site
> is so complicated that I can't figure out if they sell them separately
> or not.

> Other vendors I'm not aware of.

> Any info. on good/bad experiences with the drivers that you are using
> is welcomed.

> Thanks,
> Wes Gamble

Oracle JDBC drivers

Post by Ken Nort » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 04:31:30

Quote:> Can anyone point me to some potential vendors of Oracle 8i JDBC
> drivers (Type IV of course)?

JDBC drivers and vendors
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North/jdbcvend.htm

Look for Oracle under column 3 (Data Sources Supported).

Oracle JDBC drivers

Post by Joseph Weinstei » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 07:38:23

Oracle gives their driver away for free. Use the thin (type-4) driver.
You may have to register on the site in order to download it, but it is free.
Joe Weinstein at BEA

> Thanks in advance for any help.

> Can anyone point me to some potential vendors of Oracle 8i JDBC
> drivers (Type IV of course)?

> I know about I-Net in Germany
> (http://www.inetsoftware.de/English/Produkte/JDBC_Overview/oracle.htm)

> I assume that Oracle sells their JDBC drivers, although their Web site
> is so complicated that I can't figure out if they sell them separately
> or not.

> Other vendors I'm not aware of.

> Any info. on good/bad experiences with the drivers that you are using
> is welcomed.

> Thanks,
> Wes Gamble

1. difference between jdbc thin and jdbc odbc driver behavior under Oracle 7.3

Evidently we have uncovered a possibly already well known fact.

Can anyone tell me
1) is this well known
2) what other differences are known, and where can I learn of them?

Here is a description:

It appears that if your retrieve the value of a field from an ODBC
result set that field value is consumed and no longer available from
that result set. The following example demonstrates the problem:

ResultSet results = {do some query here}

while (results.next())
{
   // retrieve the value in the first column
    if ( results.getString(1) != null)
    {

    // attempt to retrieve the exact same value again.
    // This will succeed with the Oracle thin drivers but fail if
using ODBC
    // ODBC will throw an "No More Data Found" exception here instead.

    Y = results.getString(1);
To get around this problem, once a value is retrieved, it needs to be
saved off if you are using the jdbc-odbc driver.

I am interested if any of you have heard anything about this problem
or one like it. Any documentation about this problem would be
comforting.

Thanks
Jeff Kish

2. SELECT IF ELSE - Help!

3. Oracle JDBC Thin Applet + MS IE: SecurityException accessing jdbc.drivers system property

4. shrink db has taken a week

5. RMI-to-JDBC driver , EJB-to-JDBC driver?

6. US-MD-Baltimore Unidata/C/Visual Basic

7. JDBC Driver for MS Access (Not JDBC-ODBC Driver)

8. Generating CREATE DATABASE scripts

9. ORACLE 7.3.3 + JDBC, JDBC driver ?

10. 20350-CO-Denver-ORACLE-ORACLE Case Tools-ORACLE Financials-ORACLE Forms-ORACLE H

11. 29512-TN-Memphis-ORACLE-ORACLE Forms-ORACLE Tools-ORACLE HR-ORACLE Case Tools-CONSULTANTS

12. JDBC 2.0 / JDK 1.2 Drivers for Oracle 8.0x (not Oracle 8i)

13. 29512-TN-Memphis-ORACLE-ORACLE Forms-ORACLE Tools-ORACLE HR-ORACLE Case Tools-CONSULTANTS