mySQ footprint

Post by Tom Corcora » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 10:06:55

Can someone explain to me what is the easiest way to connect to mySQL tables
in Delphi...odbc / ado...?

If I have an application that uses mySQL tables do I need to ship anything
extra or can the exe be self contained?

I am trying to decide what database to use for a project and at the moment I
am considering mySQL and MDSE. As far as I know the later has no footprint,
am I right?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers - Tom.

  I'm sure it's in the manual somewhere...

mySQ footprint

Post by Tom Corcora » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 10:43:15

typo in the title

mySQ footprint

Post by Annaleri » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 01:20:39

You have propbably sorted this now, but I have been away for a while.

If you go to  the MySQL site and get MyODBC, you can then set up aliases and
use MySQL tables just like Access and Paradox tables.  I have been using
this fine for some time now.

Hope this helps

Quote:> Can someone explain to me what is the easiest way to connect to mySQL
tables
> in Delphi...odbc / ado...?

> If I have an application that uses mySQL tables do I need to ship anything
> extra or can the exe be self contained?

> I am trying to decide what database to use for a project and at the moment
> am considering mySQL and MDSE. As far as I know the later has no
footprint,
> am I right?

> Thanks for any advice.

> Cheers - Tom.

>   I'm sure it's in the manual somewhere...

mySQ footprint

Post by Tom Corcora » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:38:36

Thanks for the posts. I checked out those component sets you alluded to
Richey. The open source TMySql at http://productivity.org/projects/mysql/
seems the most promising. I do read at that site though that Delphi 6 is
rumoured to have native mySQL support, from what you are saying Anna it
sounds like there is an odbc driver for mySQL included.

Can anyone confirm if this means that if I have an application accessing
mySQL tables in Delphi 6 then I don't need to ship anything extra and to
just access the tables via the program the user does not have to install
mySQL server.

Thanks a lot, Tom.

mySQ footprint

Post by Sundial Service » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:58:46

Well, Tom, mySQL is an SQL server just like any other.  It's separate
from the clients that are intended to talk to it .. but obviously, it
must be "out there somewhere."

If your application is built to assume the prior existence of a mySQL
server, then plainly you don't need to ship the server software with
your product.  But if your product might be the first justification that
a user would have had to install an SQL server of any kind at their
shop, you'd better plan for the user to have to do two, not just one,
"software installation" in order to make your product work.

Also note that MySQL =is= a licensed product.  It is very generously
licensed under the Gnu Public License (GPL) but it is not in all cases
"free."

Finally, I suggest that when you are designing a system that relies upon
a client/server database environment, you should consider using ODBC so
that your product can be loaded and used with the "server de jour."
Many client/server shops are large shops that do not want a myriad of
incompatible servers running.

> Thanks for the posts. I checked out those component sets you alluded to
> Richey. The open source TMySql at http://productivity.org/projects/mysql/
> seems the most promising. I do read at that site though that Delphi 6 is
> rumoured to have native mySQL support, from what you are saying Anna it
> sounds like there is an odbc driver for mySQL included.

> Can anyone confirm if this means that if I have an application accessing
> mySQL tables in Delphi 6 then I don't need to ship anything extra and to
> just access the tables via the program the user does not have to install
> mySQL server.

> Thanks a lot, Tom.

Quote:> Fast(!), automatic table-repair with two clicks of the mouse!
> ChimneySweep(R):  Release 4.0 is here!!

mySQ footprint

Post by Tom Corcora » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 05:34:56

Thanks for the informative reply and clearing up my confusion about mysql
and it's need for a server. I agree with your recommendation for ODBC so one
can switch to whatever the client is using, it makes total sense to make
applications independent of the database layer.

Regards, Tom.

1. Resource footprint 7.2.3 to 8.0.5 upgrade

We are reviewing a possible upgrade from 7.2.3 to 8.0.5 on a DEC Alpha /DEC
Unix 4/166 with 64 Mb memory.

We are needing to know what increase of resource footprint this change will
make to our system. Bearing in mind that our memory is a bit scarce
currently, this is important for us to get right.

Any guidance would be of assistance even if not based on experience of this
exact version change.

Regards
--
Kevin A Lewis (BOCM PAULS LTD - Animal Feed Manufacturer - Ipswich England)

The views expressed herein by the author of this document
are not necessarily those of BOCM PAULS Ltd.

2. Starting/Stopping server

3. How to avoid JServer footprint with 8i EE?

4. Pivot Table

5. PostgreSQL footprint

6. Websrvr/Pl-sql Beginner - Checkboxes/Buttons

7. how to identify why memory footprint is high?

8. How I can get text highlighted when I gotfocus??

9. How to minimize Oracle's memory footprint on a laptop running Windows 2000

10. A Data Warehouse In A Desktop Footprint

11. How to minimize Oracle's memory footprint on a laptop running Windows 2000

12. analyzing SGA memory footprint