Protected Access Reports?

Post by Jim Mangion » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

G'Morning!

I've got a client sight that wants to insure that any reports
distributed to the user can not be changed by the user (unless they
knowingly hack around).
Now I used Access95 to write reports for a VB5 application instead of
Crystal (I hate crystal). But if I distribute the .mdb file, if the user
has full-blown Access, they can change the report.

Does anyone know:
1) how to protect just the reports/queries from being tampered with
2) is there anyway to "compile"/.ect those reports into something other
than a .mdb file (I know that's a long shot, but hey!)

Thanks for any help - hope everyone has a good monday ;-)
-Jim Mangione

Protected Access Reports?

Post by Aidan Heritag » Sun, 27 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know:
> 1) how to protect just the reports/queries from being tampered with
> 2) is there anyway to "compile"/.ect those reports into something other
> than a .mdb file (I know that's a long shot, but hey!)

> Thanks for any help - hope everyone has a good monday ;-)
> -Jim Mangione

My quick fix to stop prying eyes is to include an AutoExec macro in the MDB
file which HIDES the database - only my forms are visible.  Sure, if they
know what they are doing, they can unhide it - but they have to close the
form first as this has a custom menu on it.  This deters casual users, but
won't stop even mildly competent hackers - but then, I don't need to in my
situation.  Thrown into the melting pot just in case it helps a bit!