really simple DB question, i think

Post by novembe » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

...... but i'm not finding any specific answers so far...

if i have a table that has a lot of empty fields... but they are NOT
fixed-length fields... does this still take up space?  these fields are
"memo" fields.  i'm compiling a rather large databse, and my current method
of combining data would leave lots of blank fields, and i don't want to make
a table unnecessarily huge if
it can be prevented...

thanks,
november

really simple DB question, i think

Post by Thomas R. Humme » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

This would depend on the database that you are using.

Quote:> ...... but i'm not finding any specific answers so far...

> if i have a table that has a lot of empty fields... but they are NOT
> fixed-length fields... does this still take up space?  these fields
are
> "memo" fields.  i'm compiling a rather large databse, and my current
method
> of combining data would leave lots of blank fields, and i don't want
to make
> a table unnecessarily huge if
> it can be prevented...

> thanks,
> november

1. Really simple script question (I think)

I'm having a bit of a hard time adjust to FM's scripting feature, as I'm
used to more of the SuperCard model. So if anyone can give me advice on
how I can accomplish the following, I'd be grateful.

I have 3 databases (let's say A, B and C).  I want the script to operate
from a button in A. It should:

-create a new record in C
-put field "name" from the current record in A into field "name" in the
new record in C
-put field "job" from the current record in B into field "job" in the
new record in C

Thanks,

-Anthony

2. Back-Up Power for servers,UPS, Generators

3. Really simple DB question...

4. osql syntax for multiple files and compare question

5. Really simple DB Question

6. FM freezing

7. A simple question, really simple

8. Btrieve

9. Simple SQL Question I think

10. Newbie needs help on simple (I Think) question

11. Simple Query Question, I think....

12. Simple question (i think)

13. Simple Question (I think)