VB with MS Access

Post by Eric Yu » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:11:23

I am going to design a VB application with MS Access 2000. I want to know
that does user need to install MS Access 2000 program in order to run the Vb
application? If not, does VB can package the .mdb file into application
package for distribution?

Thanks for help

Eric

VB with MS Access

Post by Lalo » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:13:13

The user doesn't need the MS Access in his machine !!
When you deploy the application in the user's machine the
Setup must install the neccesary libraries (runtime
libraries) in order to manage the MDB file.

I recommend you to use PWD (Setup wizard that ships with
VB) and automaticaly will determine all the libraries you
will need to deploy (ado, dao ,etc) and you add your file
MDB to the setup (it's really easy to add the file).

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I am going to design a VB application with MS Access

2000. I want to know
Quote:>that does user need to install MS Access 2000 program in
order to run the Vb
>application? If not, does VB can package the .mdb file
into application
>package for distribution?

>Thanks for help

>Eric

>.

VB with MS Access

Post by Charle » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 00:42:28

Hi Eric,

Actually, the user does not need to install Access 2000 for the VB
application. In your VB application, you can use the data access components
such as ADO or DAO to retrieve the Access database.

You can use the Package & Deployment Wizard to package and deploy the mdb
file with your application. And the Package & Deployment Wizard will
automatically check the referenced libraries in your project and include
the necessary libraries with your application package.

Regards,
-Charles

VB with MS Access

Post by Eric Yu » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:11:23

I am going to design a VB application with MS Access 2000. I want to know
that does user need to install MS Access 2000 program in order to run the Vb
application? If not, does VB can package the .mdb file into application
package for distribution?

Thanks for help

Eric

VB with MS Access

Post by Luke Zha » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:54:10

HI Eric,

VB wouldn't package the mdb file automatically, you need to do it in PDW by
yourself. And you need install MS Access on every client computer. If you
use ADO and Jet , you can include MDAC in your package. It will install
database engine on your computer.

VB with MS Access

Post by BIG Mik » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 17:54:01

Eric,

Access does not need to be on any computer running your application.  This
is because your VB application takes the place of Access as the front end
for working with the data.  All of the files associated with your project
including the .mdb file will be packaged for deployment by the Package and
Deployment wizard.

For further clarification/proof of this you can check Microsoft's website.

Regards,

Big Mike

Quote:> I am going to design a VB application with MS Access 2000. I want to know
> that does user need to install MS Access 2000 program in order to run the
Vb
> application? If not, does VB can package the .mdb file into application
> package for distribution?

> Thanks for help

> Eric

VB with MS Access

Post by BIG Mik » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:41:46

Luke,

Where did you come up with "And you need install MS Access on every client
computer."?  I've written and distibuted about 50 VB/Access applications
that run on client PC's without Access.

Regards,

Big Mike

Quote:> HI Eric,

> VB wouldn't package the mdb file automatically, you need to do it in PDW
by
> yourself. And you need install MS Access on every client computer. If you
> use ADO and Jet , you can include MDAC in your package. It will install
> database engine on your computer.

VB with MS Access

Post by Eric » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 13:19:27

Does any computer need to have access license when the user use the
ACCESS/VB application in their computer??

Quote:> I am going to design a VB application with MS Access 2000. I want to know
> that does user need to install MS Access 2000 program in order to run the
Vb
> application? If not, does VB can package the .mdb file into application
> package for distribution?

> Thanks for help

> Eric

VB with MS Access

Post by Luke Zha » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 16:50:21

NO, since they haven't install MS Access here

1. LAN Traffic issues between using VB Frontend/MS Access Backend vs Just MS Access

Any input?  I believe that the entire file must be transmitted over
the LAN if MS Access is used but what happens if a VB front end opens
a saved/compiled query from an Access database?  Is just that query
and table(s) brought to the client or is the whole database and then
the query is run?

Thanks in advance.

CaptnTony

2. HELP (Repost) INFORMIX SE / ODBC BASIC QUESTIONS

3. MN -- Microsoft Visual Basic, VB, VBA, MS Access Programmer

4. HELP PLEASE!!!: ODBC, ISAPI and NOT MFC

5. user software requirements for VB and MS Access

6. US-NC-ETL/SYBASE/DTS / ORACLE

7. VB and MS-Access 97

8. How to Select @@IDENTITY w/o cursor library

9. VB 3.0 + MS-Access 2.0

10. VB and MS Access hierarchies -- Help!!

11. VB or MS Access, Please guide me.

12. VB with MS-Access Locking

13. Importing Form to VB from MS Access