Problems filtering Paradox Tables

Post by wbh » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:30:23

I'm a delphi and database beginner programmer.

I'm now trying to filter a Paradox table (~ 16.000 records). The program
should search a field (length: 120 characters) for any string (=user input).
What is the fastest method to do such a routine ?

Thanks

Werner Kahle

Post by Markku Nevalaine » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 06:55:27

> What is the fastest method to do such a routine ?

The simplest way probably is to use TQueries with %-wildcards:

  Select * from PERSONS
  where person like "%smith%"

But there are no special methods that could perform brute force searches
just on any text, just like that.

Of course you can buy some specialized components, that can do it fast by
creating clever full text indexes in beforehand.
Maybe Rubicon or some other http://www.tamaracka.com/

Markku Nevalainen

1. Filtered Paradox Table and the DBGrid

I have noticed that when I have a filtered table being shown in a DBGrid, the
scrollbar thumb tag does not work properly.  What happens is the thumb tag is
at the top of the scroll bar on the first record, the thumb tag goes to the
center of the scroll bar for any subsequent records and the thumb tag goes to
the bottom of the scroll bar at the last record.  Also, the size of the thumb
tag does not size relative to the number of records in the filtered table.  All
works correctly on an unfiltered table.  Has anyone else experienced this
peculiarity?  Is this a bug or just the way things work on a filtered table?

Thanks
Anthony

2. ODBC fatal error

3. Filter a Paradox table on a Logical field

4. call for participation

5. Filters in Paradox tables

6. ld.so.1 + mprotect + Oracle 8.1.5 + Solaris 2.7

7. Filter in tables [PARADOX for DOS]

8. US, CO, Denver: Oracle Manufacturing (technical WIP, BOM)

9. Filtering Paradox Tables

10. Delphi 5, Paradox, Filter problems

11. How to filter a Lookup directly without filtering the Table

12. Filtering table already filtered .....

13. Problem with filters and join filters in merge replication