Java and local database or persistent objects tool

Java and local database or persistent objects tool

Post by Andre dos Santos Mendonc » Thu, 13 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

Do you experts have experience on accessing local data stored in a client
database like Oracle Lite? I'm developing an application that will run low
memory machines (16MB RAM and 1.5GB HD) and will be written in Java and
will access a small amount of data locally.

Actually, I want an _efficient_ tool to make objects persistent but I
can't use a normal database and a common object-relational mapping
tool because of the low memory constraint. I've heard a something about
PSE for Java from ObjectDesign.

How can I store the data locally in an efficient and robust way (basics
requirement to my application, typically a POS)?

Thanks for the attention!

Andre Mendonca

Java and local database or persistent objects tool

Post by Ward Mullin » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Our Object to Relational mapping layer can be as small as 100k of java
bytecodes, and will work with small footprint databases very well.  Your
constraints don't rule out an O/R layer and traditional databases.

Ward Mullins
THOUGHT Inc.

http://www.thoughtinc.com

> Hello,

> Do you experts have experience on accessing local data stored in a client
> database like Oracle Lite? I'm developing an application that will run low
> memory machines (16MB RAM and 1.5GB HD) and will be written in Java and
> will access a small amount of data locally.

> Actually, I want an _efficient_ tool to make objects persistent but I
> can't use a normal database and a common object-relational mapping
> tool because of the low memory constraint. I've heard a something about
> PSE for Java from ObjectDesign.

> How can I store the data locally in an efficient and robust way (basics
> requirement to my application, typically a POS)?

> Thanks for the attention!

> Andre Mendonca

Java and local database or persistent objects tool

Post by John Menk » Sat, 15 Aug 1998 04:00:00

what small footprint database's does your product work with?

>Our Object to Relational mapping layer can be as small as 100k of java
>bytecodes, and will work with small footprint databases very well.  Your
>constraints don't rule out an O/R layer and traditional databases.

1. Persistent object database with Delphi and Btrieve

I was working with Btrieve record manager to store objects in a database with
Borland pascal for a long time.It is very convinient way to work with complex
information.This way I got something like POMS wich works in client/server mode.
But now I decide to rewrite this to work with Delphi "classes".I need "Streamable"
class wich I can easy find the format and order of storing its members.The standard
"persistent" class is not designed properly for such purposes.
 I make my own "Streamable" class witch works like that in Borland pascal and
my own "Stream" and it's childs wich work with Btrieve.For my purposes it's
enough but I can not directly store "Persistent" classes in my database.May be
somebody knows the better way of solving this problem ? Or somebody have expirience
of working with Btrieve and Delphi similare way ?

 Please , email me if you have some information.

Andrew Tuman

2. DMLinkToIndex() problems, please help

3. Persistent Objects in a relational database

4. Changing computer / server name

5. Mapping persistent objects to relational databases

6. US, MN, Eagan: Oracle Financials DBA

7. OOA/D versus relational database storage of persistent objects

8. EM - Full v. Simple recovery - Ok button not enabled

9. OQL on Local Java Objects

10. US-CA-South SF Bay-Tools Architect/Dev Tools/Object Component Tools/UI/Test Tools-Startup

11. GA-Atlanta-113085--Java-Life Cycle Applications-Object Oriented Devel.-Programmer-Object Oriented/JAVA

12. Java O-R mapping tools, object persistence, open source projects