Connecting VB6.0 to AS400

Post by Jon Fun » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi, I am wondering how you can connect a Visual Basic Application to a
Database on an AS400 machine.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon Funk

Connecting VB6.0 to AS400

Post by Jafo » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I'm not sure if this helps.  IBM has been working on Java enabling all their
mainframe systems.  Basically a program interrogates the mainframe and
creates jave objects and methods that you can call from VB to manipulate the
data.  Check out IBM website.  However, it is very expensive.

> Hi, I am wondering how you can connect a Visual Basic Application to a
> Database on an AS400 machine.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Jon Funk

Connecting VB6.0 to AS400

Post by Tyson Holla » Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I once saw a snippet of code to access AS400 data at
www.planet-source-code.com

You might want to check it out

Tyson Hollas

> Hi, I am wondering how you can connect a Visual Basic Application to a
> Database on an AS400 machine.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Jon Funk

Connecting VB6.0 to AS400

Post by okseriou.. » Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:00:00

It depends on what you want to do and how you want to connect.
Assuming you use Client Access, you should have DSN's set up in your
ODBC settings (control panel) which use the CA drivers.  If not, you'll
need to set all this up (refer to IBM for instructions on this).  Once
set, you can write queries and even use the data environment designer
to essentially attach to tables on the 400, like you would thru MS
Access.  Basically you're using ODBC, so it should be mostly the same.
Additionally, if you want, you can FTP into the 400 and issue commands -
 I think any CL command can be issued thru FTP.  You use the quote
command (so you'll need to find an FTP control (or write one) that
supports the quote command feature.

Good luck
OKSeriously.com

> Hi, I am wondering how you can connect a Visual Basic Application to a
> Database on an AS400 machine.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Jon Funk

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. AS400 Client Access Using ADO and VB6.0 - Data Type Problem

The company I work for wants to update AS400 database tables directly from a
Windows NT client using VB 6.0 and ADO. I didn't encounter any problems
until I tried to incorporate the standard ADO transcaction commit/rollback
methods. I discovered (after some agony) that in order to use these methods
you must maintain transaction logging on the server. Since the
powers-that-be decided this would adversely affect the overall performance
of the AS400, I had to back off and write my own commit/rollback methods.
This is no big deal since I simply save the ADO recordsets in an array until
commit time. Then I store all the records at once. As a precaution against
something going wrong during the mass update, I save the record sets in a
temporary flat ASCII file (comma delimited) so we can back out the
incomplete updates.

The above approach works fine against an MS Access or SQL Server database
where the database data types are fairly compatable with VB data types.
However, when I used it against the AS400 databases, I encountered datatypes
like packed decimal (adDecimal). If I try to convert a field containing this
data type to string data, or even try to print it in the immediate pane, I
get an error.

I would greatly appreciate any insight into this problem.

2. Adding a job progrmatically

3. Abnormal Error (VB6 access AS400 DB2 through HIS)

4. passing forms and controls so I can set focus back to a form from a module

5. Accessing as400 with vb6

6. ADO & SQL - inserting a binary object

7. Abnormal Error (VB6 access AS400 DB2 through HIS)

8. weird errors when precompiling genwin.sqc with nsqlprep

9. Accessing as400 with vb6 and ado

10. Accessing as400 with vb6 and ADO

11. Accessing as400 with vb6 and odbc

12. SQL server connecting to data on AS400

13. Connect to AS400 and JD Edwards