Performance ADO Vs DAO

Post by Yves Martinea » Wed, 30 May 2001 09:55:17

Why the same form take 15 times more to open with the ADO's data control
then with DAO's control. I open a form with 13 ADOs on it, in 22 secondes
and with replacing ADO by DAO control it came back to 1 to 2 second, same
thing with a querry very slow with ADO and very fast with DAO.
Any ideas?

Performance ADO Vs DAO

Post by David Vo » Wed, 30 May 2001 13:10:23

It depends on several factors, generally ADO is much more better that DAO in
the sense of speed and functionalities. You have to consider the environment
like the type of database, using Jet or SQL server, client or server
environment, your recordset cursor moving method and also your programming
method against the ADO cursor.

--

Regards,

David Voo

Quote:> Why the same form take 15 times more to open with the ADO's data control
> then with DAO's control. I open a form with 13 ADOs on it, in 22 secondes
> and with replacing ADO by DAO control it came back to 1 to 2 second, same
> thing with a querry very slow with ADO and very fast with DAO.
> Any ideas?

Performance ADO Vs DAO

Post by Alexander Shirsho » Wed, 30 May 2001 17:35:32

Yves,

Try to change CursorLocation property of ADODC. By default ADO uses
client-side cursors and data are copied to RAM. DAO (as far as I remember)
has server-side cursors only, i.e. it retrieves data from db into memory as
needed when you move through recordset. That means that for ADO with
client-side cursor it takes more time to open the rs but it moves through
records faster, because all data is in memory already. Try this with both
data controls: open the form and move to the last record. Time required
should be almost the same .

--
HTH,
Alexander Shirshov, MCSD

Quote:> Why the same form take 15 times more to open with the ADO's data control
> then with DAO's control. I open a form with 13 ADOs on it, in 22 secondes
> and with replacing ADO by DAO control it came back to 1 to 2 second, same
> thing with a querry very slow with ADO and very fast with DAO.
> Any ideas?

Performance ADO Vs DAO

Post by \ » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:58:00

Quote:>By default ADO uses client-side cursors

No it uses Server Side cursors by default

Quote:>DAO (as far as I remember)
> has server-side cursors only

No client side cursors

Adam
* Keep up-to-date by attending the monthly meetings at the 'Access/SQL
Server/ASP.Net User Group, Sydney"   www.ssw.com.au/AccessUG
Check out these HOT UTILITIES FOR ACCESS AND VB DEVELOPERS....
www.ssw.com.au
* SSW Data PRO  - Version Control for your data.mdb
* SSW Data Renovator  - Compare the differences between two data.mdb's
* SSW Upsize PRO! - Don't UPSIZE to SQL Server without it
* SSW SQL Script Wizard - A utility to run .sql files
* SSW Performance PRO! - Find out what is slow in your Access App

> Yves,

> Try to change CursorLocation property of ADODC. By default ADO uses
> client-side cursors and data are copied to RAM. DAO (as far as I remember)
> has server-side cursors only, i.e. it retrieves data from db into memory
as
> needed when you move through recordset. That means that for ADO with
> client-side cursor it takes more time to open the rs but it moves through
> records faster, because all data is in memory already. Try this with both
> data controls: open the form and move to the last record. Time required
> should be almost the same .

> --
> HTH,
> Alexander Shirshov, MCSD

> > Why the same form take 15 times more to open with the ADO's data control
> > then with DAO's control. I open a form with 13 ADOs on it, in 22
secondes
> > and with replacing ADO by DAO control it came back to 1 to 2 second,
same
> > thing with a querry very slow with ADO and very fast with DAO.
> > Any ideas?

Performance ADO Vs DAO

Post by Alexander Shirsho » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 19:02:04

Quote:> >By default ADO uses client-side cursors

> No it uses Server Side cursors by default

I meant ADODC, sorry

1. Performance (ADO vs DAO vs RDO) and (Resultset vs Recordset) ?

Hi,
[ADO vs DAO vs RDO]
Microsoft said ADO can get the best performance.  I did an example, when I
compare the spreed between them, I found that DAO is faster than ADO/RDO,
why ? (using VB or VBA<Access>)

[Resultset vs Recordset]
If there are more than 1,000 records, suppose Resultset will only get
partial but performance too slow! If use Adodb.Recordset, it looks faster
(all data have been got).

If there are more than 10,000 records, then Resultset is faster than
Recordset.  So, which one should I use?
<I want to get data in a very fast way>

2. 3954-VA-RICHMOND-SQL-Pro*C-PL/SQL-ORACLE-Shell Prog. Lang-Telecommunications-Tel

3. ADO's Performance vs DAO's Performance

4. Sort problem on Performa 400

5. performance of DAO vs ADO

6. How to create a file dsn?

7. ADO vs DAO performance

8. NJ-Morristown-90739--Client/Server-Customer Support-FOXPRO-MS Office-PC-SQL-Wind

9. DAO vs ADO Performance

10. ADO: Performance Testing vs. DAO

11. ADO vs DAO performance

12. ADO vs RDO vs DAO?