alternative idapi.cfg file

Post by Graham Farquharso » Thu, 20 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Greetings,
Does anyone know if it is possible to cause a Delphi app, at runtime, to
use a BDE config file other than the one identified in the WIN.INI file?

In WIN.INI the IDAPI section looks like this:
[IDAPI]
DLLPATH=D:\DELPHI\IDAPI
CONFIGFILE01=D:\DELPHI\IDAPI\IDAPI.CFG

I want to be able to have several BDE config files and override the use
of the default one on the fly.  Ever done that?  Thanks in advance for
any help.
--
Graham Farquharson
Advantage Energy Services Ltd

1. Using an alternative idapi.cfg file

I have a DB application written in Delphi (16 bit) which is using the BDE
to access Paradox for Windows tables on a LAN.  I want to distribute this
to users on the LAN but I don't want to have to change the local idapi.cfg
file on each workstation to include the aliases used by the prog.  In the
past I have delivered apps using Paradox for Windows in a similar way by
using a Paradox command line switch to use a different idapi.cfg located
on a common network server which has all the aliases defined.  But I
havn't been able to get the Delphi app. to use anything other than the
file specified in the CONFIGFILE01 item in the IDAPI topic of the win.ini
file.

Is there a way for me to specify an alternative idapi.cfg in my Delphi
code?

Delphi's help refers to direct calls to the BDE using procedures declared
in the dbiprocs.pas and dbitypes.pas units and mentions the BDE Users
Guide.  Is this what I should be looking at?  Is there anywhere I can get
hold of this reference on-line?

My systems are all running under Windows 3.11 on a Novell LAN.

Grateful for any suggestions

--------------

--------------

2. Paradox 7.0 with BDE 3.5

3. ALIAS IN idapi.cfg AND PDOXWORK.CFG

4. Can I create view from custom store procedure

5. Help! Multiple idapi.cfg files

6. A tool to spot differncies in a DB and script te differncies

7. Problems with Ingres and BDE configuration - idapi.cfg (0/1)

8. Outlook form - beyond the 32k limit

9. idapi.cfg

10. Problems with Ingres and BDE configuration - idapi.cfg (1/1)

11. Adding and deleting ODBC drivers in the IDAPI.CFG at run time

12. Changing IDAPI.CFG from programm

13. How to modify the IDAPI.CFG