ODBC Vs ODBCDirect Vs ADO Vs OLE/DB advise

ODBC Vs ODBCDirect Vs ADO Vs OLE/DB advise

Post by rvj » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

We have a relatively large VB 5.0 (Professional Editiion)  application which
primarily accesses tabular databases using DAO.

We wish to add a simple database explorer -- a bit of code that returns a
lists of servers and databases by driver.  It would mimic the network
neighbourhood app but for SQL databases.

The standard ODBC 2.0 call is SQLBROWSECONNECT. Can anyone confirm

1. whether this can this can only be achived using VB 5.0 (Enterprise
Edition) using ODBCDIRECT services?

2. whether  ADO or OLE/DB provide high level facilities for locating drivers
and returning a list of servers and databases?

3. whether I am correct in assuming that DAO and ODBC connectivity will be
superceded by ADO and OLE/DB?

4.whether  you will be able to write applications using VB which call OLE/DB
irectly - the current spec requires C++

5. whether there is a later version of ODBC that is more suitable for VB?

6. whether there is a third party database explorer library  suitable for VB
that does this task?

Finally the current SQLDRIVERS function will return a list of drivers if
they are installed on a local machine. If drivers are located on servers
rather than locally installed does the SQLDrivers function list (locate)
these drivers as well?

Post by Steven Fowle » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

2. whether  ADO or OLE/DB provide high level facilities for locating
drivers
and returning a list of servers and databases?

This is not a functions that is performed by a data access methodologies...

3. whether I am correct in assuming that DAO and ODBC connectivity will be
superceded by ADO and OLE/DB?

Yes, ADO 2.0  uses the same object model as DAO, and includes all its
functionality.  FYI: When using the JET engine, I have found that ADO 1.5
is SLOWER than DAO 3.5...

4.whether  you will be able to write applications using VB which call
OLE/DB
irectly - the current spec requires C++

I would not expect to see this till VB 7.0...

6. whether there is a third party database explorer library  suitable for
VB
that does this task?

I do not know of one...

Finally the current SQLDRIVERS function will return a list of drivers if
they are installed on a local machine. If drivers are located on servers
rather than locally installed does the SQLDrivers function list (locate)
these drivers as well?

I am not familiar with this, but I would think that there is a central
location in the system registry that has this information, I would research
how the registry could be 'read' for this type of information.

Another would be to see if there is an API call that will help you in this
task...

Hope this helps!?
Steven Fowler
SWE Consultant