We have a relatively large VB 5.0 (Professional Editiion) application which
primarily accesses tabular databases using DAO.
We wish to add a simple database explorer -- a bit of code that returns a
lists of servers and databases by driver. It would mimic the network
neighbourhood app but for SQL databases.
The standard ODBC 2.0 call is SQLBROWSECONNECT. Can anyone confirm
1. whether this can this can only be achived using VB 5.0 (Enterprise
Edition) using ODBCDIRECT services?
2. whether ADO or OLE/DB provide high level facilities for locating drivers
and returning a list of servers and databases?
3. whether I am correct in assuming that DAO and ODBC connectivity will be
superceded by ADO and OLE/DB?
4.whether you will be able to write applications using VB which call OLE/DB
irectly - the current spec requires C++
5. whether there is a later version of ODBC that is more suitable for VB?
6. whether there is a third party database explorer library suitable for VB
that does this task?
Finally the current SQLDRIVERS function will return a list of drivers if
they are installed on a local machine. If drivers are located on servers
rather than locally installed does the SQLDrivers function list (locate)
these drivers as well?