Which db tools???

Post by Denni » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Wow, what a selection of tools in VB6 Prof. ver!  Problem is deciding
which tools are best for my situation.  Hope someone can help with this.
The application uses a database with a number of tables.  The tables
store information about settings for devices connected to the serial
ports.  One of the tables also stores readings from the devices.  Now my
questions.  This application is not a C/S situation where I'm getting
data from a database, but I may want to make a database that can be read
by other computers on the network (think of it as an appointment
database so others can see what my schedule is).  The number of users
trying to see the database will be very limited.  Because I am storing
readings in one table, I need to make db operations as fast as possible.
I need to get a demo going as soon as possible, so learning time and
coding time are as important as access speed.  Now the questions.

1. Which database should I use - Access, etc?
2. Which technology is best - DAO, RDO, ADO?
3. Should I use a data control or use code to define the recordset, etc?
4. Where is the best source of consise, but complete information on
working with databases in VB?  The help files make me crazy, and most
general books begin with "Databases is such a large subject...  Thus, we
can only cover...".  I don't have time to read a 400+ page book right
now (nor do I have 21 days ;-) ).

Thanks,

Which db tools???

Post by Cowb » Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Wow, what a selection of tools in VB6 Prof. ver!  Problem is deciding
>which tools are best for my situation.  Hope someone can help with this.
>The application uses a database with a number of tables.  The tables
>store information about settings for devices connected to the serial
>ports.  One of the tables also stores readings from the devices.  Now my
>questions.  This application is not a C/S situation where I'm getting
>data from a database, but I may want to make a database that can be read
>by other computers on the network (think of it as an appointment
>database so others can see what my schedule is).  The number of users
>trying to see the database will be very limited.  Because I am storing
>readings in one table, I need to make db operations as fast as possible.
>I need to get a demo going as soon as possible, so learning time and
>coding time are as important as access speed.  Now the questions.

>1. Which database should I use - Access, etc?

Limited users, I would probably say access, as long as the db is not
overly huge. An RDBMS is better for large number of users and/or large
data stores.

Quote:>2. Which technology is best - DAO, RDO, ADO?

I would vote ADO in general. Reasoning, better support and quite easy
to program. For full functionality, you can use OLE DB, but only if
you really need to go down this path (headache).

Quote:>3. Should I use a data control or use code to define the recordset, etc?

I started with ASP, so I prefer coding my own recordsets. However, the
data tools in VB are quite nice.

Quote:>4. Where is the best source of consise, but complete information on
>working with databases in VB?  The help files make me crazy, and most
>general books begin with "Databases is such a large subject...  Thus, we
>can only cover...".  I don't have time to read a 400+ page book right
>now (nor do I have 21 days ;-) ).

>Thanks,

Depending on what you are attempting to accomplish, many of the ASP
sites have some nice ADO information. Of course, the downside is most
ASP programmers use inline code instead of procedures, but I am sure
you can overcome that hurdle. Also, ASP aims for late binding, which
is not necessarily the best method to handle this one.

If you are already a programmer with some experience, the 'in a
nutshell" book on VB/VBA is nice for quick pointers. The real question
is how complex is the work you are attempting. It would be foolish for
me to aim you in a particular direction without understanding more
about the specs.

If RAD is most important, here is a bit of a way to get a basic demo
up quickly that might seem a bit unorthodox:

Download a copy of Drumbeat and build it as an ASP web app. If the
queries, etc., work, you can either leave it as a web app, or transfer
the VBScript code to VB. You will need to type your code (DIM whatever
AS string, etc. -- VBScript does not allow using types), but this is a
small price to pay for a rapid demo.

GB
MCSE, MVP (FrontPage)

Think Outside the Box!

Which db tools???

Post by Denni » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Forgive me for cross posting and re-posting.  The problem is that the
database news group is not responsive, and I hope someone in another
news group will have an answer.

> Wow, what a selection of tools in VB6 Prof. ver!  Problem is deciding
> which tools are best for my situation.  Hope someone can help with this.
> The application uses a database with a number of tables.  The tables
> store information about settings for devices connected to the serial
> ports.  One of the tables also stores readings from the devices.  Now my
> questions.  This application is not a C/S situation where I'm getting
> data from a database, but I may want to make a database that can be read
> by other computers on the network (think of it as an appointment
> database so others can see what my schedule is).  The number of users
> trying to see the database will be very limited.  Because I am storing
> readings in one table, I need to make db operations as fast as possible.
> I need to get a demo going as soon as possible, so learning time and
> coding time are as important as access speed.  Now the questions.

> 1. Which database should I use - Access, etc?
> 2. Which technology is best - DAO, RDO, ADO?
> 3. Should I use a data control or use code to define the recordset, etc?
> 4. Where is the best source of consise, but complete information on
> working with databases in VB?  The help files make me crazy, and most
> general books begin with "Databases is such a large subject...  Thus, we
> can only cover...".  I don't have time to read a 400+ page book right
> now (nor do I have 21 days ;-) ).

> Thanks,

Which db tools???

Post by Pauline M Ro » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>> 1. Which database should I use - Access, etc?
>> 2. Which technology is best - DAO, RDO, ADO?
>> 3. Should I use a data control or use code to define the recordset, etc?
>> 4. Where is the best source of consise, but complete information on
>> working with databases in VB?  The help files make me crazy, and most
>> general books begin with "Databases is such a large subject...  Thus, we
>> can only cover...".  I don't have time to read a 400+ page book right
>> now (nor do I have 21 days ;-) ).

1) Access is fine for a small DB with not many concurrent users. It is
said to be not robust enough for heavy-duty stuff.

2) ADO is reported to be buggy, but that's what Microsoft is pushing
these days. As to which is 'best' - I would stick with DAO for the
straightforward stuff.

3) The data control is a bit restrictive. It's fine if you want a
totally standard affair, and the wizard will create the forms and code
for you, but once you step off the straight and narrow, it gets hairy.
I use the data control as the basis for my own utility apps, but for
paying clients I do everything in code.

4) The one I found best for learning how to code a DB app was "Visual
Basic Unleashed" (Sams Publishing - 1100+ pages - sorry!). The VB4
version I used has a wonderful chapter "Creating a Stand-Alone
Database Application" - also chapters on the data control, Jet, ODBC,
SQL, client/server apps and much else.

Pauline Ross
www.ross-software.co.uk

1. 20001-MD-Eastern shore-MVS-ORACLE-Adabas-DB2-DBA-DB-TOOLS-Senior Database Administrator

=
Company    : Continental Search & Outplacement, Inc.
Website    : http://www.consearch.com
Job Title  : Senior Database Administrator
Location   : Eastern shore, MD
Job Type   : Full-Time Salaried
============================
CONTINENTAL SEARCH & OUTPLACEMENT,Inc, is a cutting edge recruiting firm
specializing in IS/IT and telecomm professionals CS&O has assignments
throughout the United States, and is currently searching for the position
listed below This is one of many searches that are underway If this position is
not right for you, yet you wish to be considered for similiar searches, and
have at least 2 years professional experience and are currently eligible to
work in the US, feel free to submit your resume by email or fax

 KEYWORDS: MVS DBA DB-TOOLS ORACLE ADABAS DB2 COMPENSATION: $ 45 - $ 65
COMMENTS: Reissue** 5+ years experience in database management Must have:
ADABAS + MVS, or DB2 + MVS, or ORACLE +MVS or ADBAS + ORACLE Degree preferred,
any major(high end salary range would have to be degreed)

Travel Required          :None
Educational Requirements :None
=
Required Skills
* MVS
* ORACLE
* Adabas
* DB2
* DBA
* DB-TOOLS
=
Benefits are available with nearly every position including most contracts
Relocation is available for over 70% of our positions Visit our website for a
listing of our current positions: http://wwwconsearchcom CS&O is a member of
National Association of Personnel Services, Nationwide Interchange Service, and
Recruiters OnLine Network
=
Contact Information:
Reference : CSO536894
Daniel C. Simmons, CPC

Fax No: 302-369-6784

** Post jobs for 30 days for $40, unlimited postings $250/month
** Matching Resumes E-mailed daily
**  Your ads are virtually guaranteed to be seen by jobseekers on the NET' **

                    ** Automatic Posting to **
   ** Yahoo            ** Americas Job Bank    ** Career City

2. NT programmers wanted in Toronto Canada

3. Dao Search-Routine

4. WWW - Links out of access

5. Access, PDOX4WIN, VisualBasic/Pioneer DB Tools

6. Q: Adding to Devices file in AP?

7. your opinion on 4GL DB tools please

8. db tool on meta schema's and odbc

9. Fast unload of entire DB...(tools)