Standalone Pure Java DB apps.

Post by light_ » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 02:14:31

Hi,

I am considering writing a standalone database application using Java.
 I wonder where are some good places to find information.  I went to
java.sun.com.  It is big on the Connectivity of JDBC side.

Basically, I'd like to put together a database based on SQL syntax
with front end like buttons and dropdown list.  Hopefully, it will be
purely java running on Linux, Win 2K/XP/CE, & Palm.  Am I dreaming?
Sample of skeleton code to get started will be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps one of the IDE offers that.

Thanks for your pointers in advance.

Standalone Pure Java DB apps.

Post by akmal » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 02:25:22

Quote:> Hi,

> I am considering writing a standalone database application using Java.
>  I wonder where are some good places to find information.  I went to
> java.sun.com.  It is big on the Connectivity of JDBC side.

> Basically, I'd like to put together a database based on SQL syntax
> with front end like buttons and dropdown list.  Hopefully, it will be
> purely java running on Linux, Win 2K/XP/CE, & Palm.  Am I dreaming?
> Sample of skeleton code to get started will be greatly appreciated.
> Perhaps one of the IDE offers that.

> Thanks for your pointers in advance.

I think you can find some examples of this already. There are SQL Java DB
products around. Try here:

http://www.javaskyline.com/database.html

I'm not sure about the buttons and dropdown lists, but that should be easy
to build. For example, over Xmas 2000, I played around with the swing
stuff and managed to build some nice front-ends for some programs I had
written using Cloudscape. Great fun.

VR

akmal

--
[ OODB Resources      - http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/html.dir/home.html  ]
[ XML Data Management - Addison-Wesley, to be published in 2002              ]

Standalone Pure Java DB apps.

Post by light_ » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 01:38:35

Thanks for the pointer, akmal.  I'll poke around.

Standalone Pure Java DB apps.

Post by its_a_m » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 09:00:45

Rather than reinventing the wheel why not base your efforts on helping to
improve some of the GPL Java DBMS's out there already.  This way you could
end up with a sweet frontend that can be configured to work with whatever
dmbs you choose to embed into the code.  Have a look at the mckoi project -
www.mckoi.com it's pretty good db.  larger footprint than some and a little
lacking on insert performance but it's still being developed and is getting
better with each revision.  Other projects of interest that are pure java
and open source that i've found - and work -
hypersonicSQL ... not sure the url but its on sourceforge.net
ozone - think there www.ozone-db.org - also on sourceforge
there were others i've been toying with but none that I liked enuf to
mention.

have fun

Quote:> Hi,

> I am considering writing a standalone database application using Java.
>  I wonder where are some good places to find information.  I went to
> java.sun.com.  It is big on the Connectivity of JDBC side.

> Basically, I'd like to put together a database based on SQL syntax
> with front end like buttons and dropdown list.  Hopefully, it will be
> purely java running on Linux, Win 2K/XP/CE, & Palm.  Am I dreaming?
> Sample of skeleton code to get started will be greatly appreciated.
> Perhaps one of the IDE offers that.

> Thanks for your pointers in advance.

Standalone Pure Java DB apps.

Post by akmal » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 02:55:37

Quote:> Thanks for the pointer, akmal.  I'll poke around.

My pleasure.

VR

akmal

Post by Tsu Dho Nim » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 05:11:04

>Hi,

>I am considering writing a standalone database application using Java.
> I wonder where are some good places to find information.  I went to
>java.sun.com.  It is big on the Connectivity of JDBC side.

Why not try this project ... rather than duplicating the efforets
of others, join in a project and help it finish

 http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
"Y'know, I can *say* I'm Ming The Merciless, Emporer of Planet Mongo, but
unless I can produce a few legions of heavily-armed rocket ships, you're not

1. Wanted: pure java database with integrated web / app server

Hello all,

I am working for a company that is trying to develop a commercial
product.
The product will be html browser based. The product will be written in
either as a servlet or using JSP.

The plan is to find a combo database server / web server / app server
product that we can run our application on.

The idea is that the exact same product can be run on a stand-alone
machine, on a local network, or on the Internet.

The problem is that are having trouble finding a low cost, stripped
down product that meets our simple needs.

We only ever need to run our one very simple application at a time so
a full blown app server with failover, clustering, <insert whizbang
feature here>, etc... would be total overkill.

We would like the user to be able to start one product, point their
browser at the URL and have it work.  Having the user start three
separate products: a web server, an app server, and then a database
server, is totally out of the question.

We've looked at HSQL but it doesn't appear that the servlet/jsp
support is developed enough.  We will continue to evaluate it though
as this is the only solution we have found so far.

anybody have suggestions?

Krick

2. Hello , is there a newsgroup for cognos powerplay / impromptu ??

3. Standalone win app, Java?

4. Replication re-install forcing (SS6.5)

5. Need a pure Java db...

6. Duplicating Input Information in a Textbox

7. Looking for PURE JAVA DB with JDBC driver

8. Query woes

9. pure Java DB

10. Standalone DB apps.

11. Pure Java or Java with Cgi-bin ???

12. DAO standalone app to ADO web-based app?

13. Is Versant's Java interface pure Java?