The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by Grahame Griev » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I'm really frustated with the BDE...

I have a nearly completed app about to be delivered,
I've just deleted all the data from the tables. And
whoa, my app gives "At beginning of Table" EDBEngineError
when I try to do anything with the tables.

Database desktop dosen't give any problems. Firing up my
app in 32 bit (same source) gives no problems.
TUtility (16bit) reports that the secondary index (maintained)
is out of date. Repairs it, but then reports the same
problem.

What's going on? Why does emptying the tables give my app
a big problem?

(or any 16 bit app that tries to use the tables in a
non-radonly state)

TIA, Grahame

p.s. please mail me, I can't keep up with this show on
my trusty old 2400 modem...

The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by Oliver Townshen » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I'm really frustated with the BDE...

> I have a nearly completed app about to be delivered,
> I've just deleted all the data from the tables. And
> whoa, my app gives "At beginning of Table" EDBEngineError
> when I try to do anything with the tables.

I had a similar problem once caused by the MasterSource table
relationships (a few too many in fact), which causes all sorts of
side-effects on tables.  So it could be your data is causing the
problem, rather than whether or not it is 16 or 32 bit.

Are you using EmptyTable to clear the tables?

Oliver Townshend
Sashalom Pty Limited

The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by T. Sorens » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: The BDE is a heap of crap!
>Date: 20 Jun 1996 14:33:35 GMT
>I'm really frustated with the BDE...
>I have a nearly completed app about to be delivered,
>I've just deleted all the data from the tables. And
>whoa, my app gives "At beginning of Table" EDBEngineError
>when I try to do anything with the tables.
>Database desktop dosen't give any problems. Firing up my
>app in 32 bit (same source) gives no problems.
>TUtility (16bit) reports that the secondary index (maintained)
>is out of date. Repairs it, but then reports the same
>problem.
>TIA, Grahame

(clipped)

...Note that some versions of the TUtility.dll seem to mistakenly report
non-existant errors when testing an empty table.

The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by KJumo » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Some of form of operations give that error when the table is empty,
perhaps you startup code contains some events or procedures which expect
data in the table. BDE Filters are one of the main culprits. I got that
error in Paradox as well.

The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by Bryan Kelle » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> > I'm really frustated with the BDE...

> > I have a nearly completed app about to be delivered,
> > I've just deleted all the data from the tables. And
> > whoa, my app gives "At beginning of Table" EDBEngineError
> > when I try to do anything with the tables.

I've gotten this error before, but only in the Delphi IDE with 'Break on
exception' set on. I hope I'm not wrong, but I just ignore it.

-Bryan

The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by Alex Roytm » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> whoa, my app gives "At beginning of Table" EDBEngineError

I have this problems whenever I use master detail table and filters:  "At beginning of Table" EDBEngineError
Also I have problems with deleting records which do not exist DELETE FROM mytable WHERE contract_id = 100
if there are no records with contract_no = 100 than exception "Floating Point Error!" occurred.

I believe these are BDE problems.
Have anybody tried to contact Borland ?

Alex Roytman

The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by Grahame Griev » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>> whoa, my app gives "At beginning of Table" EDBEngineError

>I have this problems whenever I use master detail table and filters:  "At beginning of Table" EDBEngineError
>Also I have problems with deleting records which do not exist DELETE FROM mytable WHERE contract_id = 100
>if there are no records with contract_no = 100 than exception "Floating Point Error!" occurred.

>I believe these are BDE problems.
>Have anybody tried to contact Borland ?

Yes. An hour on the phone to tech support for nothing but
confused mumblings, and a "we'll get back to you if
we find anything." Nice, except that I need to know... (now)

Grahame Grieve

The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by Bryan Kelle » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I'm really frustated with the BDE...

> I have a nearly completed app about to be delivered,
> I've just deleted all the data from the tables. And
> whoa, my app gives "At beginning of Table" EDBEngineError
> when I try to do anything with the tables.

> Database desktop dosen't give any problems. Firing up my
> app in 32 bit (same source) gives no problems.
> TUtility (16bit) reports that the secondary index (maintained)
> is out of date. Repairs it, but then reports the same
> problem.

> What's going on? Why does emptying the tables give my app
> a big problem?

> (or any 16 bit app that tries to use the tables in a
> non-radonly state)

> TIA, Grahame

> p.s. please mail me, I can't keep up with this show on
> my trusty old 2400 modem...

Am I the only one here who is tired of seeing this annoying header?

-Bryan

The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by Phoenix Business Enterpris » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>I have this problems whenever I use master detail table and filters:  "At begi
>>Also I have problems with deleting records which do not exist DELETE FROM myta
>>if there are no records with contract_no = 100 than exception "Floating Point

>Yes. An hour on the phone to tech support for nothing but
>confused mumblings, and a "we'll get back to you if
>we find anything." Nice, except that I need to know... (now)

        We've all seen this, it's been discusse on this newsgroup for a while. For me,
this bug was the straw that broke the Camels back. I won't use the BDE for SQL
anymore. It was always bad, that made it worse.

_
NOTE: This software is currently in early alpha. If you notice any

 \------------------------------------------------------------\

    \     Physically in Church Hill, TN - Logically Not Sure     \
     \------------------------------------------------------------\

Quote:>>SQUID - The ultimate 95/NT offline databasing reader

**Special Compile: 3.000A (Alpha)

The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by Bryan Kelle » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Am I the only one here who is tired of seeing this annoying header?

Sorry, that wasn't called for. I just get a little defensive of
Delphi, b/c it seems like Borland is fighting an uphill battle
against the MS monopoly. I want to see Delphi and superior
technology win for once.

The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by Grahame Griev » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> whoa, my app gives "At beginning of Table" EDBEngineError
>> when I try to do anything with the tables.
>Am I the only one here who is tired of seeing this annoying header?

Ok. A follow up and a reply.

My problem was caused by a filter on a detail table. The error
is only evident when the detail table is empty. Thanks for
whoever it was who pointed that out.

As far as the annoying header goes. Sorry. But I asked the
question twice before with a boring & informative header,
and not received any answers....

And I was very frustrated. Do you reckon that we could class
this problem as another bug? Another undocumented one that
Borland Tech-Support in Oz here can't help me with?

Grahame

The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by Alex Roytm » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> Am I the only one here who is tired of seeing this annoying header?

> Sorry, that wasn't called for. I just get a little defensive of
> Delphi, b/c it seems like Borland is fighting an uphill battle
> against the MS monopoly. I want to see Delphi and superior
> technology win for once.

YES YES YES I like Delphi I wish Borlan can break MS and PowerSoft monopoly
I hate VB and I  like Delphi  much more than PowerBuilder BUT it seems to me Borland does not take seriously
programmers complains. I'v sent couple bug reports (I went through all source code wit debuger, found real bug,
reported to Borland) but I did not receive any feedback (except confirmation from bug-administrator) from Borland ??
We can help Borland to make Delphi error free and I think many programmers willing to spend some time on it.

Alex Roytman

The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by Rick Hamm » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> Am I the only one here who is tired of seeing this annoying header?

>Sorry, that wasn't called for. I just get a little defensive of
>Delphi, b/c it seems like Borland is fighting an uphill battle
>against the MS monopoly. I want to see Delphi and superior
>technology win for once.

So do I Bryan.  But I expect them to EARN it.  Delphi and ReportSmith
are great products, but they still have some major issues that Borland
NEEDS to address and SOON.  I have found too many things that do not
work quite right (or at all) and Borland has admitted to most of them.

It just isn't acceptable to give them the gold if they aren't doing
there best to produce a better product.  TOO MANY DAMN BUGS AND
INCONSISTENCIES!!!  Are you listening Borland?????  Some of us are
getting tired of it.  I am going to look into Optima++ myself.  As for
ReportSmith, it has some serious flaws as well.  I am going to have to
consider others like Crystal Reports.

Thats my cents worth!

The BDE is a heap of crap!

Post by David Krajc » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: The BDE is a heap of crap! BUT I LIKE DELPHI and What we can do about it
>Date: 25 Jun 1996 01:51:25 GMT

>>> Am I the only one here who is tired of seeing this annoying header?

>> Sorry, that wasn't called for. I just get a little defensive of
>> Delphi, b/c it seems like Borland is fighting an uphill battle
>> against the MS monopoly. I want to see Delphi and superior
>> technology win for once.
>YES YES YES I like Delphi I wish Borlan can break MS and PowerSoft monopoly
>I hate VB and I  like Delphi  much more than PowerBuilder BUT it seems to me Borland does not take seriously
>programmers complains. I'v sent couple bug reports (I went through all source code wit debuger, found real bug,
>reported to Borland) but I did not receive any feedback (except confirmation from bug-administrator) from Borland ??
>We can help Borland to make Delphi error free and I think many programmers willing to spend some time on it.
>Alex Roytman

I feel compelled to add to this thread and also the one about "bashing the
bde".

A long time ago I became a stockholder in Borland (unfortunately, price went
down since I bought, but my faith remains steadfast).  I did this for two
reasons....one, I believed in the company and what they are trying to
accomplish and want to share in the rewards from that.  And second, when I
complain, I want to be heard as a developer and owner.  It may not make much
difference, but....another company I did this with had a similar problem.  I
went to their annual meeting and brought up support issues as a concern.  They
didn't remedy all problems, but they began to take our complaints similarly.

Maybe a bunch of us need to become stockholders and attempt to wield more
influence.  It can't hurt/

-D