ActiveX DLL to ActiveX EXE

Post by slikTri » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I need some pointing in the right direction

I have an app that passed data to a remote SQL
server, the problem however is that the SQL
server may not be available at all times and
this slows down my app incredibly,

what I have done is moved the number crunching
section into an ActiveX DLL as a set of functions
and the section of code that speaks to the server
into an out of process ActiveX EXE, the problem
is that the app is still waiting if the SQL server
is not available.

any hints, tips, direction, would be greatly
appreciated!

BTW, Please reply directly where possible~

ActiveX DLL to ActiveX EXE

Post by Dean » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I'm not sure what you mean with 'server may not be available at all times',
but if it's a network-related problem, you need a way to send data
asynchronously from client to SQLServer machine. This could be done easily
with MS MessageQueue.

Your client should send data via known queue and return as if data reached
server. On server side you need a small app (NT service or just plain EXE)
reading the queue and sending data to SQLServer.

If server machine is not available, MSMQServer will store all your clients
messages untill server goes up.

Hope it helps

Dean

Quote:> I need some pointing in the right direction