jdbc/odbc driver and ms-access with an applet

jdbc/odbc driver and ms-access with an applet

Post by Tristan Renaul » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm trying unsuccessfully to do the following thing :
my applet wants to read some data it has to display, from a MS Access
Database. I use the simple sun jdbc/odbc driver provided with the JDK.
when I run the applet trough the internet (personal web server, of my NT
workstation) but on the machine where the database is stored and
declared as an Odbc source, everything is ok and the data are displayed
normally.  when I do the same from a remote machine, still through the
internet, it doesn't work and the applet says it is unable to find the
data source.
What should I do to make it work ? I read it is a problem due to the use
of odbc. Does anybody know more about it ?

Thank you

Tristan

jdbc/odbc driver and ms-access with an applet

Post by Alasdair Gilmou » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

For the JDBC-ODBC driver, you need to have ODBC installed on the machine the
applet is executing on. Also a DSN pointing at the database has to be
registered with ODBC on that same machine.

With Access, it gets worse: Access is a file-based database rather than a
true RDBMS i.e. the whole database is contained within a .mdb file, and
there is no form of server process that accepts connections and accesses
this file on your behalf. i.e. the client has to be able to directly
manipulate this file itself. In other words, unless the .mdb file is on a
shared network drive, pointed at by DSNs on the machines that run the
applet, there isn't much you can do. This tends to severely restrict
Access's viability as anything other than a single-user, single-machine
database ( although as such, it is pretty good ).

However, you can get round the problem by using a piece of software called
RmiJdbc ( available free from
http://dyade.inrialpes.fr/mediation/download/RmiJdbc/RmiJdbc.html ). This
allows you to set up & run a 'server process' on the machine that physically
holds the .mdb file. Clients can then connect to this server process, and
access the database through it without requiring ODBC or the bridge at all (
as the name suggests, this magic is done with Java's Remote Method
Invocation ).

Hope this helps

Alasdair