Programming strategies

Post by Richard A Shandro » Wed, 01 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hello --

I'm new to VB but not new to programming.  I'm finding myself having a hard
time coding because of the 'nonlinear' and fragmented nature of the language,
e.g., how events happen at unpredictable times or in many varieties and how
so many subs are needed to cover what you want to do.

My question is this:  I've successfully used tools such as flowcharting and
listing of procedures and their relationships for other types of coding, but I
am not finding it easy to do so with VB.  Can anyone give me tips, and/or direct
me to references or tools, that make programming and keeping track of events,
subs, controls etc (and their interactions) easier?

Thanks in advance,
                        Rich
--
        Rich Shandross

        http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/ras/home.html

Programming strategies

Post by Jim Robert » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello --
> My question is this:  I've successfully used tools such as flowcharting
and
> listing of procedures and their relationships for other types of coding,
but I
> am not finding it easy to do so with VB.  Can anyone give me tips,

I use this tip constantly. If you are in a routine and place the cursor on
a function name then press SHIFT F2 the editor will jump to that function.
CTRL SHIFT F2 will return you to the original code. Note: once you start
moving around in a routine it may forget where it came from.

jr!

1. Need advise on Programming strategy: Add ADO rst VS Insert

Now that we have lots of new things to work with, MTS, ADO.... I have been
exploring the different ways of adding and editing data.  We are developing
with NT 4.0 sp4, VS6.0, MTS2.0, and IIS.  I am now at a crossroads where I
need to decide on our over all programming strategy.  The question I'm
looking at is should we use ADO recordset to add and update data, or execute
stored procedures.  Currently our apps are not taking on heavy use, but they
may in the future.  I'm thinking of rather than using multiple ways of doing
this, we should plan on one good way and use that as our standard.  This
will allow us to have standard templates to mass produce the generic code
and therefore simplify things.  the idea of using ado is nice because it
greatly simplifies the code (compared to converting all of the field values
into parameters and passing those to stored procedures, especially when
adding or updating recordsets with multiple records.)  furthermore, the
clients will be working with ADO recordsets and there would be little to no
conversion required to pass it to the back end.  In planning for future use,
its difficult to say how many people will be hitting on a table at one time.
here are 2 possible scenarios.:

1.  I would say that when things get "big time", a table of 20 fields could
receive up to 20,000 records per day.  each add or update could be 1 to 20
records each.  This would be receiving data via a global intranet using IIS,
MTS 2.0, SQL 7.0.

2.  this scenario would be the same as #1, but only a max 1000 records a
day.

Please pass your various words of wisdom and opinions.

Thanks.

--
George Padvorac

nwis.net

2. Oracle training

3. Run and Wait a program inside a program

4. Corrupted Data Base...

5. Program to set up tags for INFORMIX-4gl program

6. Information on DECdtm

7. Program to format DataBasic program code

8. IMMEDIATE OPPORUNITY: Foxbase and/or Foxpro Expertise (CLEVELAND)

9. database program for a bbs program?

10. How to tell if a program was started by another program

11. Passing a parameter from a C program to an Informix 4gl program

12. Convert your .exe programs to Web Page programs (News 1023)

13. WANTED: PROGRAMMING COURSE, BOOKS AND PROGRAMS