DAO vs others (ADO, ODBC, OLE, RDO, ...)

DAO vs others (ADO, ODBC, OLE, RDO, ...)

Post by johnn » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

This is in reference to Nov 17, 2000 (15:17) post "DAO" from Bear_Man.

I am also wondering about preferences for accessing a database from within VC++
6.0.

Specifically, can you rate the pros/cons between DAO and ADO?  Is there that much
of a difference?  Is this not a valid comparison (different animals completely?)

What about the others?   ODBC, OLE, RDO?

Personally, I have used ODBC and DAO.  I tend to see DAO as being more dynamic or
flexible since one doesn't have to create a driver for it like ODBC.  I did find
ODBC more easier to work.  I have also encountered the DAO 3.6 library problem
when I made an app (using MFC in shared mode) that interacts with Access 2000.  I
got past that, I think.  Would this too be an issue with ODBC?  I'm tending to
favour DAO.

Thanks group.
Johnny

DAO vs others (ADO, ODBC, OLE, RDO, ...)

Post by Chu X » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:00:00

You should use OLEDB or ADO. OLEDB is much better than DAO in speed and
manageability. see http://www.microsoft.com/oledb

DAO is abandoned in VC++7.0.

[...]

Post by peter dono » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Do not trust Microsoft. DAO is faster than OLEDB in many situations.
But you're right about manageability.

>You should use OLEDB or ADO. OLEDB is much better than DAO in speed and
>manageability. see http://www.microsoft.com/oledb

>DAO is abandoned in VC++7.0.

DAO vs others (ADO, ODBC, OLE, RDO, ...)

Post by mcShar » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Here is one article on comarison of all technologies

http://www.mindcracker.com/mindcracker/c_cafe/database/mdac.asp

http://www.mindcracker.com
C++ Developer's Ultimate Web Resource Site

[...]

1. Need help to understand DAO, ADO, RDO, OLE DB and ODBC, please

Hi all,

I'm very new to MS Data Access technologies. I've worked with ADO for
few projects using both COM model in VB and smart pointer in VC++ and
some small projects in java using jdbc:odbc bridge. But i now trying
to have a quite complete survey on MS Data Access technologies. I've
searched the MSDN library, spent days googling the wwweb and get a lot
of documents but they realy the chaos (at least, to me :D). Can
someone give me a document to survey those concepts from the ground up
?

Thank in advance,
duong thanh an

2. Is there a way to overload a built-in function

3. ADO/OLE DB vs Native vs RDO - Oracle

4. Snapshot Agent Error

5. ADO vs RDO vs DAO?

6. Command Line Options

7. ADO vs DAO vs RDO

8. ODBC Vs ODBCDirect Vs ADO Vs OLE/DB advise

9. ODBC API vs RDO vs ADO

10. Differences ODBC - ADO - OLE DB - RDO

11. RDO, ADO, ODBC, DAO?????

12. ADO, DAO, ODBC and RDO confusion