Help in learning

Post by Graeme Reddis » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi
I am looking to learn all about databases, I was thinking ofgetting Ms
Access to link to my CAD software, but before I purchase, I would like to
know more ofthe basic stuff... so

Any books, or web sites or other news groups.... please point me in that
direction,  many thanks

Graeme Reddish
Jersey UK.

Help in learning

Post by Jim in Clevelan » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

> I am looking to learn all about databases, I was thinking ofgetting Ms
> Access to link to my CAD software, but before I purchase, I would like to
> know more ofthe basic stuff... so
> Any books, or web sites or other news groups.... please point me in that
> direction,  many thanks

  Just my 2 cents (or shillings, whatever):  newsgroups are most useful
for very specific questions on a db/programming task;  web sites may
have useful code for routines or entire projects.  But if you're a
beginner wanted to learn basic concepts and terminology, a good ol' book
is your best bet.  Don't know what's available in your local library or
bookstore;  college bookstores here in the States may have a better
selection, and some computer stores have good book sections.
  Since this is a VB group, the books I use most may be a step ahead of
you (not dissin ya, mate - they focus on VB, assuming the reader already
knows db terms/concepts).  I'd check for books about Access from these
publishers: Sams, Wrox, or Que - all the books I've ever gotten from
these companies have been useful to me.
  It's a world of fun - enjoy!
--
Jim in Cleveland
If you're writing to me, in my address

Help in learning

Post by Graeme Reddis » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the quick reply....

I am always looking for info,  whilst a novice, I have done some basic
programming many years ago.  But I find that word of mouth is the best
pointer towards books etc.

The Cad software I use is very powerfull and designed to connect to loads of
databases, the favourite one seems to be Access.

By the way.... VB means what exactly ??

Many thanks

G.

Help in learning

Post by Jim in Clevelan » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

<snip>
> The Cad software I use is very powerfull and designed to connect to loads of
> databases, the favourite one seems to be Access.

> By the way.... VB means what exactly ??

  <incredulous> What...? </incredulous>
  VB = Visual Basic, a popular programming language for computers that
use the Windows operating systems.  When you get into Access, you'll
find it includes a version of VB called VBA (VB for Applications).  It's
got a few unique features not found in "real" VB, but lacks way more.
  Now, I could be a wise guy and ask you what CAD means....
  Just kidding :-)
--
Jim in Cleveland
If you're writing to me, in my address
change "REAL_Address.see.below" to "worldnet.att.net"
 ((("What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?" - Nick Lowe)))

1. Can you help me learn programming ?

Hi,
I know nothing about computer programming but I am eager to learn.

Can any kind soul suggest to me any good, comprehensive book (but for
absolute beginners) to learn how to programme in Visual Basic 4.0 (to move
onto Windows 95 programming) and Visual C/C ++ that include CD-Roms for
online help and such?

Also, can anyone suggest to me a good, comprehensive Dictionary about
programming languages words, idioms, symbols and a good computer games
programming guide ?

Please, give help besides and beyond the "for dummies" series, I am
serious about this.
If you wanna help, go ahead and you're very welcome, otherwise, never mind.

Please, e-mail to

Thanks a lot,

Silvana

2. Formatting of Value Lists

3. Need Helping in Learning Oracle - check this out !!!

4. Sending ccMail from Foxpro 2.6

5. Helps for Learning Paradox 4.5 for Windows

6. Unspecified Error

7. Need your help in learning Database Language,

8. Q: java - oracle

9. help to learn SQL 7

10. help for learning programming

11. please help me learn a concept

12. HELP ABOUT LEARNING

13. Resources for help with learning Transact-SQL