Anyone willing to be a mentor?

Post by John Mahe » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to teach myself the art of database programming via a book,
"Using Visual Basic 4", a Que book. The book really only skims over
databases, so my education is quite patchy. Would anyone be kind enough to
act as a "guide" for me when I have questions? I know this NG is meant for
answering questions, but I have so many really "dumb" type questions that I
don't want to take up space in the NG. If anyone is willing to help me,
email me.
                               John Maher

Anyone willing to be a mentor?

Post by Ales Musta » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I don't think many people will response to you, but if they do, hey i'm glad
and happy for you.
Post your questions no matter how dumb they are to the newsgroup(s).
Even if someone laugs you won't see him laughing at you. But still people
who'll reply with laughing messages are the ones to which we should laugh.
No one knows everything!

--
Ales Mustar

Remove one i from the word ziig, if you wish to email me.

>I am trying to teach myself the art of database programming via a book,
>"Using Visual Basic 4", a Que book. The book really only skims over
>databases, so my education is quite patchy. Would anyone be kind enough to
>act as a "guide" for me when I have questions? I know this NG is meant for
>answering questions, but I have so many really "dumb" type questions that I
>don't want to take up space in the NG. If anyone is willing to help me,
>email me.
>                               John Maher

Anyone willing to be a mentor?

Post by Britt Smit » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

We used a book in college called Teach Yourself Database Programming Using
VB5.
It's not bad for beginning. E-mail if you want the publisher or ISBN. I
can't be your mentor as I am in the same boat you are.
--
Britt Smith

Post by Jakob Leande » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

You can even read it for free at http://www.mcp.com/personal

>We used a book in college called Teach Yourself Database Programming Using
>VB5.
>It's not bad for beginning. E-mail if you want the publisher or ISBN. I
>can't be your mentor as I am in the same boat you are.
>--
>Britt Smith

>> I am trying to teach myself the art of database programming via a book,
>> "Using Visual Basic 4", a Que book. The book really only skims over
>> databases, so my education is quite patchy. Would anyone be kind enough
>> act as a "guide" for me when I have questions? I know this NG is meant
>for
>> answering questions, but I have so many really "dumb" type questions that
>> don't want to take up space in the NG. If anyone is willing to help me,
>> email me.
>>                                John Maher

Anyone willing to be a mentor?

Post by John Mahe » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the ideas on the book. I have recieved a couple of replies. I
really thought I might get flamed rather badly, but (at least until now)
have had no idiotic reponses. I will still post some of my quicker questions
here. Thanks to all,
                               John Maher

>You can even read it for free at http://www.mcp.com/personal

>>We used a book in college called Teach Yourself Database Programming Using
>>VB5.
>>It's not bad for beginning. E-mail if you want the publisher or ISBN. I
>>can't be your mentor as I am in the same boat you are.
>>--
>>Britt Smith

(snip)>>>

1. Is anyone willing to...?

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998 06:03:38 +0800, "Jefferson Chang"

It sounds like you may not be either saving the record at the
appropriate time (do you have a specific button to do so, or trapping
entry back into the listbox?), or you may need to requery the listbox,
to force it to go back, re-read its recordset and pick up the new
record.

No, don't mail me your program :-)

Tim F

--

2. TBLSPACE_STATS & performance

3. Uncatalog a DB

4. Is anyone willing to........??

5. US NY - NJ $WANTED$ C++ DEVELOPERS

6. Anyone selling configured mvBase or Mentor Pro systems?

7. Transfer data from Access to Oracle

8. MENTOR, MENTOR....Where are you???

9. I am wondering if anyone out there is offering remote DBA support for their customers

10. error ORA-01855: AM/A.M. or PM/P.M. required

11. I am getting this message when i am tring to export or import anything using

12. Busy Day = Slowdown from 12 AM - 5 AM