Help - Delphi 16, Watcom SQL (NetWare) and ODBC

Help - Delphi 16, Watcom SQL (NetWare) and ODBC

Post by Doc Sava » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hello!

I have been assigned a project and given a set of tools to complete it
with.  The compiler is Borland Delphi 16 and the SQL engine is Watcom
SQL for NetWare.

I have patched Watcom to the 4.0E level, so I believe that I am
current there.  I'm using the Delphi 16 that is on my Delphi Developer
2.0 cd, so I believe that I am ok there too.

The app has to use ODBC calls to access the data, which will be stored
in a table on a NetWare server.

These stipulations are non-negotiable.

My problem is that I don't know where to start.  I'm up-to-speed with
database apps and the BDE.  However, ODBC is all new to me.

Does anyone have either a simple working example or know of a good
reference for ODBC?  The Watcom manuals do not seem to go into much
detail.  It may be possible for me to get Watcom SQL upgraded to SQL
anywhere, but is this necessary and would it make things
easier/better?

I'm most interested in how to open the table, accessing and posting
data.

Any comments, suggestions or whatever would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Post by Flu » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Hello!

>I have been assigned a project and given a set of tools to complete it
>with.  The compiler is Borland Delphi 16 and the SQL engine is Watcom
>SQL for NetWare.

>I have patched Watcom to the 4.0E level, so I believe that I am
>current there.  I'm using the Delphi 16 that is on my Delphi Developer
>2.0 cd, so I believe that I am ok there too.

>The app has to use ODBC calls to access the data, which will be stored
>in a table on a NetWare server.

>These stipulations are non-negotiable.

>My problem is that I don't know where to start.  I'm up-to-speed with
>database apps and the BDE.  However, ODBC is all new to me.

>Does anyone have either a simple working example or know of a good
>reference for ODBC?  The Watcom manuals do not seem to go into much
>detail.  It may be possible for me to get Watcom SQL upgraded to SQL
>anywhere, but is this necessary and would it make things
>easier/better?

>I'm most interested in how to open the table, accessing and posting
>data.

>Any comments, suggestions or whatever would be very much appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.

You'll need the 16bit odbc drivers...once you have them
installed...Delphi will seamlessly integrate withit...as long as the
drivers are written correctly to ODBC specs.

You can send SQL statements through TQuery...just the same...the BDE
handles all the conversion for you...

1. dbInit Error using Watcom SQL on Netware via ODBC

I'm using Watcom SQL 4.0 on Netware with Delphi via ODBC, and I
intermittently get this error :

*** Warning : db_init has not been called before accessing dblib.
Db_init and db_fini should be called by the user before and after using
dblib. db_init will be called now...

This is usually after I've been using the program for a while, or
have exited and re-started the program perhaps 5-8 times.  I
usually have to re-boot after this.  Is this an ODBC problem, a
Watcom driver problem, or something I've done?  Any help greatly
appreciated.

I'm using a mixture of data aware controls and  Infopower table and
sql query components.  Usually I get this error on a table open.

2. Is this an enhancement?

3. WATCOM SQL - Netware - Help wanted

4. Alpha-testers wanted for ChimneySweep(R) 4.0 Professional

5. 16 bit ODBC, Netware, SQLServer 2000

6. What is (+) in PL/SQL means ?

7. ODBC 2.0, 16-bit using netware

8. Calendar for VB 3.0

9. 16 bit ODBC, Netware, SQLServer 2000

10. 4 Sale Watcom SQL 16 User

11. ODBC 2.0 required by Delphi and Watcom SQL?

12. Watcom SQL 4.0 and Delphi 2.0 & ODBC

13. Help: Delphi 16 bit client to MS SQL Server 6.0