Problem with Masked Edit control...

Post by Jason Klei » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I created a form with text boxes, combo boxes and three masked edit controls
which are bound to a data control with an Access database.  This form is
only going to be used to add new entries, but when I use the
Recordset.Addnew statement, the three Masked Edit controls keep their
previous value without clearing.  I scrolled through the database using the
data control and found that if a db entry had a null value, the masked edit
controls would keep their previous value.  I'm using a simple input mask of
##/##/#### with a mm/dd/yyyy format for a Y2k compliant year field.

Has anyone ever seen this happen before?  All of the other data bound
controls update fine and when there is a null value in a field, they show
empty.  I'm using VB 5.0 sp3, so I should have the latest bug fixes.  Is
there an autoupdate statement that I'm just not seeing?
Thank you...

Jason

Problem with Masked Edit control...

Post by Scott Michel » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

MS still doesn't have a working Masked Edit control I see.  A while back I
did a little bit of work with VB3 and VB4 and the Masked Edit control didn't
work right in either of those versions.  Now that I'm doing more than just a
little bit of work in VB5 I decided that it just wasn't worth my time to
check out the Masked Edit control since previous experience showed me that
the thing just flat doesn't work worth a *and I went ahead and wrote my
own.  Save yourself some headaches and write your own masked edit control.

Scott

>I created a form with text boxes, combo boxes and three masked edit
controls
>which are bound to a data control with an Access database.  This form is
>only going to be used to add new entries, but when I use the
>Recordset.Addnew statement, the three Masked Edit controls keep their
>previous value without clearing.  I scrolled through the database using the
>data control and found that if a db entry had a null value, the masked edit
>controls would keep their previous value.  I'm using a simple input mask of
>##/##/#### with a mm/dd/yyyy format for a Y2k compliant year field.

>Has anyone ever seen this happen before?  All of the other data bound
>controls update fine and when there is a null value in a field, they show
>empty.  I'm using VB 5.0 sp3, so I should have the latest bug fixes.  Is
>there an autoupdate statement that I'm just not seeing?
>Thank you...

>Jason

Problem with Masked Edit control...

Post by David Studstil » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Agreed!

Masked Edit has never worked. Check out the DBInput controls from Apex.
I've been using their products since VB3.  I am using their TDBText objects
exclusively. You can actually RightJustify numbers as well.

>MS still doesn't have a working Masked Edit control I see.  A while back I
>did a little bit of work with VB3 and VB4 and the Masked Edit control
didn't
>work right in either of those versions.  Now that I'm doing more than just
>little bit of work in VB5 I decided that it just wasn't worth my time to
>check out the Masked Edit control since previous experience showed me that
>the thing just flat doesn't work worth a *and I went ahead and wrote my
>own.  Save yourself some headaches and write your own masked edit control.

>Scott

>>I created a form with text boxes, combo boxes and three masked edit
>controls
>>which are bound to a data control with an Access database.  This form is
>>only going to be used to add new entries, but when I use the
>>Recordset.Addnew statement, the three Masked Edit controls keep their
>>previous value without clearing.  I scrolled through the database using
the
>>data control and found that if a db entry had a null value, the masked
edit
>>controls would keep their previous value.  I'm using a simple input mask
of
>>##/##/#### with a mm/dd/yyyy format for a Y2k compliant year field.

>>Has anyone ever seen this happen before?  All of the other data bound
>>controls update fine and when there is a null value in a field, they show
>>empty.  I'm using VB 5.0 sp3, so I should have the latest bug fixes.  Is
>>there an autoupdate statement that I'm just not seeing?
>>Thank you...

>>Jason

1. problems with Mask edit controls bound to data controls

To control user's input, I would like use Mask edit.
On my form I have a button, to add a new record, but when VB execute
        Data.recordset.addnew
I have a validation error and after a run-time error, with the empty
field (His mask is ?######), and I can't resume this error.

Somebody has an idea where i'm mistaking (i think it's possible to
add a new records with this control.

        Thank Your for your help

        Arnaud - France - Paris

2. Database Custom Type

3. Problem with Masked Edit Control

4. QR2 Calculated field

5. Problem with Masked Edit Control 6.0

6. temporary table

7. Masked Edit Control and Remote data control problem

8. Migration of C-ISAM files

9. Masked Edit Control Problem

10. Problems with the Masked Edit control in VB4.0

11. Masked Edit Control date type problem

12. Masked Edit Control /AddNew Problem

13. Problem with bound DataCombo and Masked Edit controls when changing their contents