How different is MS Sql Passthrough, to ACCESS SQL

How different is MS Sql Passthrough, to ACCESS SQL

Post by Michael E. Gerna » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Just trying to really figure out what is the big different between using VB to
do passthrough SQL for an SQL server(meaning the commands) as compared to
ACCESS Sql... Since all the main work is on SQL and Access seem to be similar.
If you know one can you use the other??

Robert Gernaey(not Michael)

Thanks

If my brother is out there and can read this... Hi :)

Michael Gernaey

================================
Creative Consultants
Custom Visual Basic, Visual (C)/C++, Delphi ,
programming...

Hey have fun that's what programming is for..
================================

How different is MS Sql Passthrough, to ACCESS SQL

Post by Joe Foster of Bo » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Just trying to really figure out what is the big different between using VB to
> do passthrough SQL for an SQL server(meaning the commands) as compared to
> ACCESS Sql... Since all the main work is on SQL and Access seem to be similar.
> If you know one can you use the other??

There are significant differences. The functions are different
(SubStr() instead of Left(), Right(), and Mid()), as are the date
delimiters (' instead of #). The biggest difference is how joins
are specified. SQL Server uses the where clause. For example:

select foo.*, bar.* from foo, bar where foo.pk = bar.fk;

To do a left join between foo and bar:

select foo.*, bar.* from foo, bar where foo.pk *= bar.fk;

Right join:

select foo.*, bar.* from foo, bar where foo.pk =* bar.fk;

This can get quite * when some joins must be inner while
others must be outer. I find Jet's join syntax easier to follow.

[chomp]

How different is MS Sql Passthrough, to ACCESS SQL

Post by Ronak Sh » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Speed is another important aspect of using Passthrough. By using
>passthru, you skip the layer that performs syntax checking on the SQL
>statement.

I imagine that the ability to transfer only the returned recordset
instead of huge tables that need to be dealt w/ by the front end
computer will significantly reduce network flow too.

MS Access Programming and WWW Development

1. MS Access 97 SQL to MS SQL SQL SQL SQL

Does anyone know of a good utility to convert simple MS Access 97 (SQL view)
queries to ones usable on an MS SQL server. I believe there are symbol
differences and stuff. If there isn't a utility could someone point me in
the right direction of a good explanation of the differences.

Thanks,

Oli T.

2. Oracle and Recodsets

3. MS SQL - Access, Query behavior on different networks

4. ADOCE Installation

5. Character display problem under MS-SQL and MS-IIS on two different machines

6. Help! @@Identity & uniqueidentifier ???

7. 9.14 and 9.21 co-existing

8. Access 1.1 sql passthrough to sqlserver

9. copy database between MS SQL7 and MS SQL 2000 with different code pages

10. Access 97, Orcale and SQL Passthrough

11. Updating Sql Server via ACCESS Passthrough

12. Calling an Oracle Stored Procedure via SQL Passthrough in Access 97