SQL Links for SQL Anywhere?

Post by David Rifki » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Can someone with Delphi C/S tell me what versions of SQL Anywhere are
supported by SQL Links?  We're struggling with ODBC driver bugs and
wondering if it's worth trying to cut out the intermediaries.

--
Report all * mail to your Potsmaster.

SQL Links for SQL Anywhere?

Post by Oliver Townshen » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Can someone with Delphi C/S tell me what versions of SQL Anywhere are
> supported by SQL Links?  We're struggling with ODBC driver bugs and
> wondering if it's worth trying to cut out the intermediaries.

The ODBC driver is the native driver for SQL Anywhere.  What bugs are
you having?  SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 works fine with BDE 4.51 for me
(earlier combinations definetely had problems).

Oliver

SQL Links for SQL Anywhere?

Post by Grant Walke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>What versions of SQL Anywhere are supported by SQL Links?
>We're struggling with ODBC driver bugs and wondering if it's
>worth trying to cut out the intermediaries.

Yeah, like the BDE  ;)

I checked out the SQLA options twelve months ago and while
I didn't go down that path I was impressed by the number
of people using it with Delphi and the level of expertise and
support in the Sybase newsgroup.  Using various BDE
alternatives people seemed to be very happy with the
performance of the SQLA ODBC driver.

(The same was also true of MS SQL Server's ODBC driver, BTW,
which was reportedly very efficient.  These stories helped change
my attitude toward ODBC which was previously very negative due
to Borland's anti-ODBC pro-SQLLinks sales pitch.)

You will need to pay careful attention to driver version though:
the Sybase newsgroups and faq were full of problems which
had been fixed in later releases.

I've heard that ODBC Express works really well with SQLA.
Your best bet is to search the Sybase newsgroups for advice.

For BDE alternatives see
  http://www.kylecordes.com/bag/index.html

SQL Links for SQL Anywhere?

Post by David Rifki » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>> Can someone with Delphi C/S tell me what versions of SQL Anywhere are
>> supported by SQL Links?  We're struggling with ODBC driver bugs and
>> wondering if it's worth trying to cut out the intermediaries.

>The ODBC driver is the native driver for SQL Anywhere.  What bugs are
>you having?  SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 works fine with BDE 4.51 for me
>(earlier combinations definetely had problems).

I'm using the same versions of both.  Truncation and complete lockups
reading moderately-sized blobs (32K to 250K).  The ODBC driver is
returning wrong block length information from SQLGetData calls and
driving the BDE nuts.

--
Report all * mail to your Potsmaster.

SQL Links for SQL Anywhere?

Post by Jan Rosinows » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

you need the EBF for 5.5.04
Quote:>I'm using the same versions of both.  Truncation and complete lockups
>reading moderately-sized blobs (32K to 250K).  The ODBC driver is
>returning wrong block length information from SQLGetData calls and
>driving the BDE nuts.

>--
>Report all * mail to your Potsmaster.

SQL Links for SQL Anywhere?

Post by David Rifki » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>you need the EBF for 5.5.04

>>I'm using the same versions of both.  Truncation and complete lockups
>>reading moderately-sized blobs (32K to 250K).  The ODBC driver is
>>returning wrong block length information from SQLGetData calls and
>>driving the BDE nuts.

Ha ha ha ha ha!  Excuse me, I've just dropped my teeth.

I've been trying to get the EBF from Sybase for the last week.  They
don't like me.  How did you talk them out of it?

--
Report all * mail to your Potsmaster.

SQL Links for SQL Anywhere?

Post by Jan Rosinows » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

't was our first major problem w/ sqlaw and we told them we were about
to perchase a couple of new servers :->
Quote:>>you need the EBF for 5.5.04
>Ha ha ha ha ha!  Excuse me, I've just dropped my teeth.

>I've been trying to get the EBF from Sybase for the last week.  They
>don't like me.  How did you talk them out of it?

1. Sybase SQL Anywhere, SQL Links and Delphi 2.0

I'm evaluating economical choices for an in-house SQL server for about
5-10 users and Sybase's SQL Anywhere (formerly Watcom SQL) seems to be a
real good value. I'm currently using it through ODBC, but I wonder if
the SQL Links package (which comes with Delphi C/S) would support this
SQL server. The online product information at Borland doesn't
specifically mention it, though it does mention Sybase SQL server, which
is an altogether different product.  Does anyone know if SQL Links
supports this product and if so, will SQL links work with the Delphi 2.0
Developer release?

If anyone has an information, I'd really like to hear from you. If
anyone else might have already used SQL Anywhere with Delphi and would
care to share your experiences, I think they'd be welcome too!
--

Morse Telecommunication, Inc.            http://www.morse.net

2. Reducing size of transaction log in 7.0

3. Sql Anywhere & Sql Links

4. MDX challenge - Best Day calculated member

5. ? SQL Link for Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5

6. File locking

7. Sybase Sql Anywhere and Sql Links

8. Adding Users using Code

9. D3 and SQL-Anywhere with SQL-Links?

10. Sql Anywhere & Sql Links

11. DELPHI with SYBASE SQL ANYWHERE------ DELPHI with SYBASE SQL ANYWHERE

12. How to link Sybase SQL Anywhere to Oracle Server

13. I want the setup experience of Delphi/Sybase anywhere by SQL-Link