Package Deployment Wizard?

Post by Marc Shapir » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 00:49:57

I have a program that I am developing for a local non-profit
organization.  When it is done, I need to be able to install it on their
system.  I would also like to make it available to other organizations
doing similar work.  How do I package this so that it can be easily
installed?  I keep seeing posts about the Package Deployment Wizard, but
I can't seem to find the thing.  I am using Visual Basic 6.0 (VS 6.0)
with the Service Pack 5 update.

Where do I find the Package Deployment Wizard, and how do I use it?  Is
there another (better) way to do this?

Any help appreciated.

--
Marc Shapiro                         "If you drink melomel every day,

Please visit "The Meadery" at:       unless your wife shoots you."
http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_shapiro/   -- Dr. Ferenc Androczi, winemaker,
                                     Little Hungary Farm Winery

Package Deployment Wizard?

Post by mayayan » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 01:00:58

It should be on the menu under "Microsoft Visual Stuido 6 Tools".
The wizard is fairly self-explanatory. You select a project and
choose from the options it presents. You should check to confirm
the list of files included and where you want them installed. The PDW
guesses at that. You also might want to make changes in the part
that specifies the Start Menu links added.

> I have a program that I am developing for a local non-profit
> organization.  When it is done, I need to be able to install it on their
> system.  I would also like to make it available to other organizations
> doing similar work.  How do I package this so that it can be easily
> installed?  I keep seeing posts about the Package Deployment Wizard, but
> I can't seem to find the thing.  I am using Visual Basic 6.0 (VS 6.0)
> with the Service Pack 5 update.

> Where do I find the Package Deployment Wizard, and how do I use it?  Is
> there another (better) way to do this?

> Any help appreciated.

> --
> Marc Shapiro                         "If you drink melomel every day,

> Please visit "The Meadery" at:       unless your wife shoots you."
> http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_shapiro/   -- Dr. Ferenc Androczi, winemaker,
>                                      Little Hungary Farm Winery

Package Deployment Wizard?

Post by Matt Fletche » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 01:01:17

It is part of my VS Enterprise installation. In is under the tools sub menu
on the start menu

> I have a program that I am developing for a local non-profit
> organization.  When it is done, I need to be able to install it on their
> system.  I would also like to make it available to other organizations
> doing similar work.  How do I package this so that it can be easily
> installed?  I keep seeing posts about the Package Deployment Wizard, but
> I can't seem to find the thing.  I am using Visual Basic 6.0 (VS 6.0)
> with the Service Pack 5 update.

> Where do I find the Package Deployment Wizard, and how do I use it?  Is
> there another (better) way to do this?

> Any help appreciated.

> --
> Marc Shapiro                         "If you drink melomel every day,

> Please visit "The Meadery" at:       unless your wife shoots you."
> http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_shapiro/   -- Dr. Ferenc Androczi, winemaker,
>                                      Little Hungary Farm Winery

---

Package Deployment Wizard?

Post by Mauree » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 01:35:40

The easiest way to access it is to include it in the Add Ins menu of your VB
IDE. The standard installation doesn't automatically put it there, so if you
cant see it under the Add Ins menu then use the Add Ins / Add In Manager
menu and select Package and Deployment Wizard from the list and tick the
boxes "Loaded" and "Load on Startup".

By the way, there are alternative tools available that are much better than
the standard Package and Deployment Wizard, and some of them are freeware. I
haven't used any of them myself, but other people on the group will no doubt
be able to recommend one.

Mike

> I have a program that I am developing for a local non-profit
> organization.  When it is done, I need to be able to install it on their
> system.  I would also like to make it available to other organizations
> doing similar work.  How do I package this so that it can be easily
> installed?  I keep seeing posts about the Package Deployment Wizard, but
> I can't seem to find the thing.  I am using Visual Basic 6.0 (VS 6.0)
> with the Service Pack 5 update.

> Where do I find the Package Deployment Wizard, and how do I use it?  Is
> there another (better) way to do this?

> Any help appreciated.

> --
> Marc Shapiro                         "If you drink melomel every day,

> Please visit "The Meadery" at:       unless your wife shoots you."
> http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_shapiro/   -- Dr. Ferenc Androczi, winemaker,
>                                      Little Hungary Farm Winery

Package Deployment Wizard?

Post by Peter Youn » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 03:08:43

The Package and Deployment Wizard is not particularily good. It's limited in
features and buggy.

I recommend Inno Setup. It's free and a very good product:
http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

> I have a program that I am developing for a local non-profit
> organization.  When it is done, I need to be able to install it on their
> system.  I would also like to make it available to other organizations
> doing similar work.  How do I package this so that it can be easily
> installed?  I keep seeing posts about the Package Deployment Wizard, but
> I can't seem to find the thing.  I am using Visual Basic 6.0 (VS 6.0)
> with the Service Pack 5 update.

> Where do I find the Package Deployment Wizard, and how do I use it?  Is
> there another (better) way to do this?

> Any help appreciated.

> --
> Marc Shapiro                         "If you drink melomel every day,

> Please visit "The Meadery" at:       unless your wife shoots you."
> http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_shapiro/   -- Dr. Ferenc Androczi, winemaker,
>                                      Little Hungary Farm Winery

1. ADO 2.0 and Package/Deployment Wizard

I created a setup program using Package/Deployment Wizard but it could
not work on another machine. I got an err msg : Error #3706 ADO Could
Not Find the specific Provider. I use VB 6.0, ADO 2.0 and Access 97 and
the code has the problem is :
.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source=xx.mdb"
I even include the mdac_typ.exe in the package. Could anyone tell me the
problem or if there are any dependency files for msado20.tlb?
thanks a lot,
Craig

2. [GENERAL]

3. job opportunity need

4. Access Runtime & Package Deployment Wizard ?????

5. which procedure to put ?

6. Package and Deployment Wizard doesn't work with Data Environment Report

7. SYNTAX ERROR CONVERTING DATETIME FROM CHARACTER STRING

8. package and deployment wizard

9. Package & Deployment Wizard Problem

10. Package & Deployment Wizard with SQL2000

11. MDAC_Type.exe and the Package and Deployment Wizard

12. Package and Deployment Wizard Error 743