blocking dblib calls from visual basic

Post by Barry Tu » Sat, 01 Jul 1995 04:00:00

We are using the Microsoft sql server dblib from
visual basic to make stored procedure calls
into an openserver and have noted the following behavour.  The call
sqlrpcsend appears to block until rows are returned from the server.  We
would have thought that we would not block waiting for returned rows until
calling sqlok.  But we appear to be blocking on sqlrpcsend.

Question 1.  Is this the correct behavour??

What we would like be able to do is start several long lasting rpc
call's simultaneously and wait for them all to return in parallel.
(Based upon what the open server is doing we should get overlap).
We think we should be able to do this by opening several dbproc's,
starting the rpc's by making all necessary calls up to and including
sqlrpcsend and then wait for each response by calling each sqlok one
after the other.  If the block until sqlrpcsend
is the correct behavour, then this method seems to be a non-starter.

Question 2.  Can we do this the way we'd like to, or is some
other method possible?

Any insights would be very, very, VERY helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Barry Tuch
FT Systems, Inc.

1. blocking dblib calls from visual basic

[...]

2. Hierarcical dataset

3. Blocking behaviour dblib calls from visual basic

4. Inconsistent data within a column

5. blocking behaviour of dblib from visual basic

6. Change the device-path!

7. Visual Basic DB Calls out of Sync with C/C++ DB calls

8. pgsql/src/backend/parser gram.y

9. How Visual Foxpro can be called by Visual Basic

10. Visual FoxPro calling Visual Basic - Help