JApplet vs filesystem on server as datamodel ???

JApplet vs filesystem on server as datamodel ???

Post by Mike » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 18:01:15

Hi,

My JApplet using the server filesystem as datamodel. It manages/updating
some html/images/directories on the filesystem on server...It's not
posssible to use java.io.File, which will browse the client filesystem. What
should I do ??

P.s.
Give examples and urls to articles, please...

Thanks.

Mike

Post by Jon Skee » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:00:21

> My JApplet using the server filesystem as datamodel. It manages/updating
> some html/images/directories on the filesystem on server...It's not
> posssible to use java.io.File, which will browse the client filesystem. What
> should I do ??

You'll need to have a server-side component of some description. The
most common one would be a servlet. You then communicate with the
servlet using HTTP.

[Followups set to comp.lang.java.programmer - this isn't about Java
database access]

--

http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/

1. storing images in SQL Server vs. filesystem

I'm trying to get together a database for an online casting service.  With
that, I'll have to show photos of actors and so forth.  I keep hearing
different opinions about where I should store my photos.  I have been told
to keep them under a separate directory on the hard drive and merely provide
a reference to it in the database itself.  I've also heard that I should
keep everything in the database itself.

Anyone know of any stats to back up either claim as being better?  Also, if
I do store the images in the SQL Server 7.0 database, is BLOB the choice I
want?  Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. Question .. How do I pass a value to a form that I'm launching?

3. raw vs filesystem

4. Sql question

5. SQL Image Data vs FileSystem

6. Solution: SQL10007N with Client Configuration Assistant

7. Database vs FileSystem (a comparison)

8. filesystem dbfile vs raw device dbfile

9. FileSystem vs. DB

10. design decision (DB vs filesystem)

11. Filesystems VS Raw devices for tempdb

12. Disk storage : filesystem vs database