CD-ROM database access...

Post by Jonathan Alle » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00

No offense, but I doubt there is such a thing as a "CD-ROM Database Format".
You need to contact the vendor of the DBs and request either ODBC drivers or
specs on the file format used. As far as API goes, unless it's from the
vendor, it won't help.

Jonathan Allen

Quote:> Hi there I am a student that has been set a long-term assignment. It
> involves creating a common interface for a number of CD-ROM databases that
> run on a sever.
> The problem that I am facing is that I cannot access the database tables
on
> the CD-ROMs because they have proprietary formats.

> Does anyone know about accessing CD-ROM databases? I'm thinking about
using
> API to control the software supplied with the CD-ROMs, think this is a
good
> idea?

> Looking for ideas welcome any input!!

> Regards Mark.

CD-ROM database access...

Post by Mark » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi there I am a student that has been set a long-term assignment. It
involves creating a common interface for a number of CD-ROM databases that
run on a sever.
The problem that I am facing is that I cannot access the database tables on
the CD-ROMs because they have proprietary formats.

Does anyone know about accessing CD-ROM databases? I'm thinking about using
API to control the software supplied with the CD-ROMs, think this is a good
idea?

Looking for ideas welcome any input!!

Regards Mark.

CD-ROM database access...

Post by Mark » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

You are correct there is no such thing as a CD-ROM database format. I have
contacted the vendors for one of the CD-ROM databases that we are working
with and this was there reply.

Quote:> Dear silver platter info, I am a student doing a project as a part of my
> degree.
> I was wondering if there was a way to connect to your CD-ROM databases
> using OBDC, ADO or ASP?

Thank you for your inquiry to Technical Support. Silver databases
are published in a proprietary format which requires our retrieval
software to be utilized to access them. Please contact Technical Support
if you need further assistance.

So I don't think that I'll be able to access information stored on the
CD-ROMs in a conventional way?
I was wondering if it would be possible to use the vendors application to
access the information for me. Pass queries to there app from my interface
and get results back.
I have made a couple of prototypes that use the Win API and send and receive
data from other applications. Do you think this approach will work?

Regards Mark.

> No offense, but I doubt there is such a thing as a "CD-ROM Database
Format".
> You need to contact the vendor of the DBs and request either ODBC drivers
or
> specs on the file format used. As far as API goes, unless it's from the
> vendor, it won't help.

> Jonathan Allen

> > Hi there I am a student that has been set a long-term assignment. It
> > involves creating a common interface for a number of CD-ROM databases
that
> > run on a sever.
> > The problem that I am facing is that I cannot access the database tables
> on
> > the CD-ROMs because they have proprietary formats.

> > Does anyone know about accessing CD-ROM databases? I'm thinking about
> using
> > API to control the software supplied with the CD-ROMs, think this is a
> good
> > idea?

> > Looking for ideas welcome any input!!

> > Regards Mark.

CD-ROM database access...

Post by Adam Shor » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

just as a test try opening one of the databases in a text editor. You may be
able to workaround any particular issues by working out what the file format
is yourself. For example it may be that the file stores the records as text
and the rest is control characters or delimiters of one kind or another. I
also wouldn't be terribly surprised to see it turn out to be a common comma
delimited text file. Whatever the case, it may be possible to extract the
meaningful stuff from the file, use it and junk the rest.

To make use of it in VB you would have to write a routine to read in the
file and parse it for the data you require. Its not difficult. Working out
what data goes with what might be though.

Good luck

Adam