Jet Engine Crashing

Post by Glenn Potte » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have an Access 7.0 database with stored parameterized queries.  I run a
Client application written in VB5 using DAO3.5 and Jet3.51, and the
operating system is NT4.0 SP3.  When I trigger two or more Clients (using
Windows Sockets) to run the same stored parameterized select query
(recordset type is snapshot) at the same instant about 95% of the time the
Jet engine will crash with an Access Violation. Looking at the Dr. Watson
logs the fault almost always occurs on the same instruction in MSJET35.DLL.

By using dynamic SQL embedded in the VB code (temporary query defs) the
crash does not occur.

I have not found any information on MSDN that states two users should not be
able to run the same stored parameterized query at the same instant. I
prefer the use stored queries and not dynamic sql.

This appears to be a bug in DAO, JET, or the Access DB (an access violation
is unacceptable in a db engine). Has anyone else ever experienced this
problem?

Jet Engine Crashing

Post by Mark Ra » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Glenn,

I'm sorry to say that Access 7.0 is your problem. It's even admitted by
Microsoft these days that it's far too unstable to be used. Upgrade to
Access 8 and your crash will most likely disappear.

HTH

Mark