What C/S DB for Delphi? (Please no flames :-)

What C/S DB for Delphi? (Please no flames :-)

Post by Luis Gonza » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm using Windows NT and Delphi 2. I want to hear some opinions about:
"What Client/Server Database should I choose to develop with Delphi?".

I have some choices: Delphi comes with Interbase, but, is Interbase
good enough?

To be honest, I never used C/S, but want to start with.

Should I choose, MS SQL 6.5, Sybase SQL, IBM DB/2, Oracle, Informix or
Interbase.

Thanks in advance,
Luis Gonzaga

What C/S DB for Delphi? (Please no flames :-)

Post by Frank Burlei » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,
>I'm using Windows NT and Delphi 2. I want to hear some opinions about:
>"What Client/Server Database should I choose to develop with Delphi?".
>I have some choices: Delphi comes with Interbase, but, is Interbase
>good enough?
>To be honest, I never used C/S, but want to start with.
>Should I choose, MS SQL 6.5, Sybase SQL, IBM DB/2, Oracle, Informix or
>Interbase.

I haven't gone very far with c/s yet either.  I have Sybase' SQL
Anywhere 5 which looks nice and gets good reviews.  It's also nice in
that you get on the CD not only the NT server but also servers for
Netware and OS/2.  You also get client software for Win, Win32, and
OS/2 platforms so it's pretty flexible.  Oracle also supports these
platforms on the server side but I believe you have to buy them one at
a time.  DB2 gets good reviews and supports OS/2, NT and some *nix
platforms.  MS' SQL server of course is NT only, though it seems to be
well-reviewed.
--
Frank Burleigh 812-333-7082 (h); 812-855-9170 (o); 812-855-0555 (fax)
School of Law 254, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN  47405

Post by Donn » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I'm using Windows NT and Delphi 2. I want to hear some opinions about:
> "What Client/Server Database should I choose to develop with Delphi?".

> I have some choices: Delphi comes with Interbase, but, is Interbase
> good enough?

> To be honest, I never used C/S, but want to start with.

> Should I choose, MS SQL 6.5, Sybase SQL, IBM DB/2, Oracle, Informix or
> Interbase.

> Thanks in advance,
> Luis Gonzaga

You have to ask the question 'Who is going to be using the database and
how many records will there be?'  Interbase is a good choice for a
relitively small number of users and records; if there is going to be
hundreds or thousands of users and hundreds of thousands of records then
you may have to go to a larger system like Sybase or SQL Server.  Also
Interbase is easy to administer, others can be difficult.  Do  a search
for Interbase, Sybase, ect on the Web and you will find sites that
explain the merits of each system.

I have used both Interbase and SQL Server and both have there places.

Post by Matthew Flow » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: "What Client/Server Database should I choose to develop with Delphi?".

Don't forget Oracle!  Although Oracle in the past has not been for
beginners, it is a remarkably powerful database that will grow with you
forever.  Their new version (7.3) is graphically beautiful, and
significantly easier to set up than many of the previous versions.

Oracle is standard in the industry and is available in just about every
platform.  Think about your marketable skills as a programmer.  Think
about what the industry is using.  Most importantly, don't get swayed by
hoopla about a certain database.  I don't like to Microsoft bash, but
SQL server is not as wonderful as they make it out to be.

Want to start out with C/S for now?  Get your feet wet?  Just learn a
little?  Stick with Interbase for now.  It is DEFINITELY a much less
expensive solution.  Any of the other large databases will run you big
bucks just to get started.  Interbase isn't 100% ANSI SQL compliant, but
then again neither is any one else.  If you learn SQL, stored procs,
triggers, and other associated goodies now, your skills will easily
transcend the boundries of product.

Good luck!

Matthew Flower

--

Post by John Parrot » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> : "What Client/Server Database should I choose to develop with Delphi?".

> Don't forget Oracle!  Although Oracle in the past has not been for
> beginners, it is a remarkably powerful database that will grow with you
> forever.  Their new version (7.3) is graphically beautiful, and
> significantly easier to set up than many of the previous versions.

If you do want to check out Oracle, check their web-site. They have
complete 90-day trial versions of their full servers.
--
John Parrott
Elysium Financial Systems

http://www.interlog.com/~spo

What C/S DB for Delphi? (Please no flames :-)

Post by dbDelp » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

You can also check out SQL Server 6.5 from http://www.microsoft.com,
It's a good choice, too, it's quicker then Oracle, powerfull, strong and
very easy to set up.

Cheers,
David Gurevitz

--

10/10/96 02:44
---------

Post by Chris Totte » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> You can also check out SQL Server 6.5 from http://www.microsoft.com,
> It's a good choice, too, it's quicker then Oracle, powerfull, strong and
> very easy to set up.

Agree, but if you're going to download either, make sure you have a T1
line, these babies are *HUGE*! ;)

//chris

What C/S DB for Delphi? (Please no flames :-)

Post by CQHA » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Try to find an Oracle (or SQL Server, probably) demo in your city - Oracle
often gives out demos on CD.

1. Sybase or Oracle? (No flame wars please)

Okay it's all relative. I think that the tougher the
challenge the easier that Oracle is as a RDBMS relative
to the overall complexity of the project - I haven't
found this with any other RDBMS, and only thing that
approached this in the early 80's was Sperry Univacs
MAPPER product.

Some of the DW projects that I worlked on involved as
little as a week of DW and Oracle7 consulting.

Martyn Jones
Iniciativa para Data Warehouse
San Lorenzo de El Escorial

THE DATA WAREHOUSE EXPERTS IN SPAIN

2. Reading assignment for Access 2000 OLE + Pictures

3. pgsql/src backend/executor/execTuples.c backen ...

4. Output to printer

5. VBX-Control and V8

6. Convert Sybase tables to Oracle (No flames please ;-)

7. Sorry for the last post, Please, don't flame for the question

8. Accessing oracle sequences from Delphi 1.0 CS

9. 3 Questions on Delphi 3.0 cs

10. Delphi CS, Oracle7.2 & SQLNetV2.2